What is this?!? (Warning gross pic-egg/contents)

Aug 1, 2020
Arkansas
So my 26 week old Barred Rock has been acting funny today (maybe going broody?) spending more time in the nesting box. All 4 of our girls (2 white LH, 1 Asian Black, and 1 BR) laid an egg today. When I went to close them up for the night the BR was in the nesting box again. I pulled her out and checked her over and put her back in the coop but she wouldn’t go on the roost bar (where she normally sleeps) but instead snuggled into the floor. I checked a few times and she hasn’t moved. I decided to try to put her on the roost and she wouldn’t and went back to the nesting box and started poking around and pecking at something in the box (that I hadn’t seen when I checked other times). I didn’t expect an egg since they had all laid today. It looked like a shriveled up shell-less egg beta way I can describe it. It was very squishy in feel. I brought it in the house and poked a small hole in it to open it up to see what was inside (bc I could feel a hard spot) there was no clear but yellow and what looks like a developing embryo of some sort 🤷🏽‍♀️Any idea what it is/what’s going on? Digging through the yellow there was another hardish clump that looked like a yellow raisin. So weird. Anyway, any insight would be helpful.

Oh and we got rid of our cockerel about a week ago so it’s just the 4 pullets now.

Attachments

• 2B0DB0B6-3201-47AC-B086-3C1513D855E7.jpeg
    2B0DB0B6-3201-47AC-B086-3C1513D855E7.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 15
  • AF6860E6-D306-4659-8CE3-29EB17175734.jpeg
    AF6860E6-D306-4659-8CE3-29EB17175734.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 14
I have no idea but the photo is pretty cool to see hope it’s nothing serious

I'd dissect it further, cut the clumps in half.

Ya know, I should have thought of that, but my husband discarded it last night.

It’s just so so bizarre! Like would an embryo start developing inside the chicken before it was laid? Where did the egg come from? Was it a 2nd egg laid. Is it some other kind of egg entirely (snake? Turtle?) that something dragged into the coop to eat later?

Ya know, I should have thought of that, but my husband discarded it last night.

It’s just so so bizarre! Like would an embryo start developing inside the chicken before it was laid? Where did the egg come from? Was it a 2nd egg laid. Is it some other kind of egg entirely (snake? Turtle?) that something dragged into the coop to eat later?
Hopefully there won't be a next time...but if there is..... you'll know to go further.
Also put something in the pics that shows scale, I use a quarter.

Not likely an embryo.
Second eggs laid in the same day are often softies, not uncommon with new layers and often accompanied by odd behavior.
If you have snakes and turtles, or wild birds coming into your coop, then maybe,
but I really doubt it.

Hopefully there won't be a next time...but if there is..... you'll know to go further.
Also put something in the pics that shows scale, I use a quarter.

Not likely an embryo.
Second eggs laid in the same day are often softies, not uncommon with new layers and often accompanied by odd behavior.
If you have snakes and turtles, or wild birds coming into your coop, then maybe,
but I really doubt it.

After we discarded and I started searching more I realize should have used something for scale. It was like a deflated balloon so about 3/4 the size of a normal egg. I mention embryo because the 2 dark dots clearly seemed like eyes

Back
Top Bottom