What is this white stuff on the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kinnafinn35, Oct 21, 2011.

1. kinnafinn35

kinnafinn35 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Every once in a while - actually pretty often, a day or two every week or so - we get a brown egg with a strange white coating. Anyone know what it is or what causes it? They've all been laying for a couple of months now. They probably average about 7 1/2 to 8 months old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    The egg shells are white and the brown color is applied near the end of the process. Are you sure it's white on top of the brown and not holes in the brown showing the white underneath?

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    It looks like a extra coating of "bloom" which is the antibacterial that eggs have on the shells. This agent is why you don't have to refrigerate eggs; it protects them from bacteria getting in.

4. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Ours looks like that quite often. We haven't died from them, so feel safe eating them. LOL. We do--of course--wash them before cracking them. [​IMG]

5. kinnafinn35

May 2, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for your reply! Yep, I'm sure. To be positive, I just washed it off, and when I scrubbed it, it disappeared.

Thanks, LT! That's what I was assuming it was, but I wanted to be sure. I have a chicken with what I think is Rickets right now so I wanted to be sure it couldn't be an egg from her that's showing some complication of the illness, or signs of something else related in another hen.

6. kinnafinn35

May 2, 2011
    ginger c. :

Ours looks like that quite often. We haven't died from them, so feel safe eating them. LOL. We do--of course--wash them before cracking them. [​IMG]

Haha! We've been eating them too, just curious what it was! We wash them too though [​IMG]

7. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I have a girl who always has a thick coating of excess bloom on her eggs. It's fine, don't worry about it. I don't even bother washing before cooking, I'm not eating the shell.

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    One of my Brd Rocks has been laying eggs like that since she started. EVERY egg of hers is like that. No worries.

9. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    I dont really know what it is but our hens have it too, i think its pretty normal [​IMG]

10. troyerchar

troyerchar New Egg

Jun 13, 2013
    I have a hen that lays eggs with an excess of something sticky on her egg. Is this bloom? Happens about once a week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by