What is this? Worms inside egg?

That dose is the roundworm & cecal worm dose, it will not treat capillary worms (see 2nd picture below). If you want to deworm your flock, buy a bottle of Valbazen. You could try doing what @KsKingBee does and put 25 ml in a gallon. ⬇️

View attachment 3273945
What an education I'm getting!
I think at this point, I'm on overload. I could have dosed all of my birds individually, twice, for the amount of time and brain cells I've expended studying the problem. Not to mention all the time and effort by everyone else here, trying to convince me.

MY advice now to anyone else who finds this thread and considers treating their chickens in the drinking water: DON'T. Please, just use whichever wormer of choice or recommended by your vet, for treating each bird individually. I have (at last count) 76 chickens and chicks. I would rather spend the time and effort in the coop with them, dosing them orally or topically, one-by-one - than trying to figure out the 5-7 day regimen of drinking water that may or may not work, and might even harm them.

How has it worked for you? Personally we had problems putting the dewormer in the water, so we found one that you give them pills per kgr of weight a d it worked well.
Had no idea that worms could be passed on to the eggs, eww.
So glad we haven't had that problem. Did you by chance get any info on how often one should deworm a flock?
@Wyorp Rock @dawg53 Thank you for your advice. Very much 🤝
I'm doing what the vet recommended, and will get them tested again in a couple of weeks, to see how effective it is. I will discuss with him about Levamisol and Aquasol at that time, and whether or not the Safeguard worked as dosed.

I dosed 50 chickens this morning. I gave them about 3 gallons of water with 1 mL of Safeguard mixed in, split into two waterers. We'll see how it goes.

How has it worked for you? Personally we had problems putting the dewormer in the water, so we found one that you give them pills per kgr of weight a d it worked well.
Had no idea that worms could be passed on to the eggs, eww.
So glad we haven't had that problem. Did you by chance get any info on how often one should deworm a flock?
I don't know yet. Against the better judgement of BYC experts here, but following my vet's advice, I gave my chickens their 2nd dose of 5-7 doses of Safe-Guard for Goats in their water this morning. Further treatment is pending my conversation with the vet later today, or with the Univ of Missouri experts.

How often you treat depends on the situation - what range or run the birds are on, probable contamination in the soil, whether or not you rotate your flock to fresh ground, other factors. In my case, I have a sizeable flock, they are confined to a dirt run most of the time, and have been on that same spot for 7 years. My vet recommended worming every 3-4 months, but no less than 6 months if I am worried about withdrawal times in eggs I sell.

MY advice now to anyone else who finds this thread and considers treating their chickens in the drinking water: DON'T. Please, just use whichever wormer of choice or recommended by your vet, for treating each bird individually. I have (at last count) 76 chickens and chicks. I would rather spend the time and effort in the coop with them, dosing them orally or topically, one-by-one - than trying to figure out the 5-7 day regimen of drinking water that may or may not work, and might even harm them.
So now you need to figure out how much to give each one, right? Please call your vet and ask "how many mg per kg of fenbendazole will treat capillary worms, and how many days do I need to give it?".

.005 mL per kg
That is the 1 mg per kg dose and will not treat capillary worms which you can see in the pictures I posted here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-worms-inside-egg.1549559/post-26186453

about .57 mL total.
You have a math error. When treating roundworms and cecal worms, the math is:
  • weight in pounds, divide by 2.2 (converts to kg), times the desired dose, and divide by the number of mg per ml.
Example:
  • 250 pounds / 2.2 x 1 / 100 = 1.14 ml for five consecutive days (round worms & cecal worms only)

You need to figure out how many mg/kg to use for capillary worms, then do the math. All of my textbooks say the dose is huge compared to what you gave.

Here is something from a vet:
safeguard_rx_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom