What is this?

SarahBethsMommy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
One of my white chickens seems to always have a dirty butt. She isn't one that enjoys coming to me or allowing me to pick her up. They are totally free range around my yard and stay in their coop pretty much every night. I never know who is laying and who isn't so I'm not sure if she is or not. You can see her on the far right and another there in the center who is cleaner. I'm wondering if I should catch her and put her up for a while if it is normal to sometimes look like that.

Last edited:
hmmm, are they sleeping in something? like mud? that is odd... I would wash her, just dunk her in a tub of water it doesn't have to be all of her just enough to get that gunk off. If it collects in her feathers and builds up it can irritate the skin underneath causing other problems. It may just be diarrhea but if there's swelling in her abdomen I would think something else may be wrong with her. you can also trim some of the fluff just under the vent and it won't catch too much when she poops. I had a Wyandotte that was just way too fluffy and her butt feathers caught all her poop (so gross!) but dunking her every once and a while worked and trimming it a bit definitely helped. I'm thinking it might be something they ate that caused dark poop since your other hen seems to have some skid marks as well lol

Last edited:
also to kind of help if your birds have an intestinal imbalance or sour stomach there are some things you can give them. I was taught by some bird experts that Yogurt and lemon juice was a miracle cure for stomach problems in pretty much all birds and works like a charm. Also everyone on BYC seems to suggest a bit of Apple cider vinegar because it can kill some of the bad things in their intestines and reduce things like salmonella.

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to catch her and give her a good soaking wash. I do put ACV in their water. They sleep on a roost each night that I've seen them. Sometimes it is the one in their coop, but I have seen them on my kids' swing set and the rails of my porch even on nice nights. I've never seen any of them sleep in the mud, but her feathers are more abundant around her vent than the others. I hope that is all it is!

Back
Top Bottom