what is this ?

it wasnt there this morning. i noticed it when i was going to get the plate out the brooder. so idk. its not hard its lumpy
also something is up with the bird he has been getting corid for the last 5 days (2tsp per gal)... he came from a farm about 3 weeks old i dont know much about him.

It's good that the crop is not full in the mornings - especially if you are using a brooder plate or heating pad to brood the chicks. Crop function is harder to gauge if they have a light on 24/7.
Feeling lumpy can be from chick starter or even a few pieces of grit that you are feeling. Here is good little article with illustrations about the crop and it's function https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...s-a-chickens-crop-What-is-a-gizzard-H309.aspx

More concerning(?) is you mention that something is up with the chick - can you be more specific? Is s/he lethargic, having trouble pooping, the vent pasting, not growing, etc.
You mention that you have been treating him with Corid for the last 5days using an outbreak dosage (2tsp Corid per gal) Was this chick sick with Coccidiosis or were you using the Corid as a preventative measure?

Also just to trying to cover all bases and questions that come to mind - what are you feeding your chicks? Are you providing your chicks with chick grit (crushed granite) free choice?

ehh i dont know what exactly is wrong with him. we just got him last week. the lady made a comment when we picked him up that she always thinks hes dead because he just lays around. well, i noticed blood in the stool and it wasnt acting right. (we have three 1 week olds and 2 3 week olds) we have the two from the ladys farm separated.Honestly i dont know all the symptoms fit the coccidiosis. i spent a hour on the phone with a vet that was 2 hours away just trying to get some answers... i have been giving the one week babies 1/2 tsp and the 3 weekers 2tsp per gal. i am going tomorrow to get some electrolytes. i dont know what else to do and i want this lil fella feeling better.... and no i was not giving them grit yet.i was feeding them unmedicated chick started feed. when they are done with that bad i will be giving them the chick starter.

ehh i dont know what exactly is wrong with him. we just got him last week. the lady made a comment when we picked him up that she always thinks hes dead because he just lays around. well, i noticed blood in the stool and it wasnt acting right. i am going tomorrow to get some electrolytes. i dont know what else to do and i want this lil fella feeling better.... and no i was not giving them grit yet.i was feeding them unmedicated chick started feed. when they are done with that bad i will be giving them the chick starter.

Is that full crop of his emptying overnight?
What does his poop look like now?

I would give the Corid for a full 7days. Check the crop to see if it's emptying overnight. Unmedicated chick starter is fine, but I do suggest that you make chick grit available free choice. Grit helps the process of foods - I realize you are only giving chick starter, but I feel grit early in life helps build gizzard function and sometimes chicks do ingest a little bedding so they need the grit to help break that down.

Is this chick active at all? Does he have a source of heat?

FF09B30F-D2CC-4EB2-823B-1FEB5CDCDE50.jpeg
30074140_10212158135890706_722263973_o.jpg

is that worms? could the hamburg possibly have worms ? the pictures are of the light brahmas poop.... but the hamburg had runny poops

Can you take a sample to your vet?
My first inclination is it's intestinal shedding, but have never seen it broken down into several "glops" like that.

The yellow "pus-like" stuff in the second photo - is that poop too?

i feel like im going crazy !! I have been staring at chicken poop all day!! But yes i planned on it!! I think the Hamburg is doing a lot better she seems a lot happier today! And is a lot more active! I am taking the poop tomorrow first thing I didn’t take that specimen because I wanted to see if it was more than one poop like that. I just saw the Hamburg poop like that too! I am probably going to worm everyone just Incase

i feel like im going crazy !! I have been staring at chicken poop all day!! But yes i planned on it!! I think the Hamburg is doing a lot better she seems a lot happier today! And is a lot more active! I am taking the poop tomorrow first thing I didn’t take that specimen because I wanted to see if it was more than one poop like that. I just saw the Hamburg poop like that too! I am probably going to worm everyone just Incase

LOL get used to examining that poop - it seems that's what we all do:D

They are awfully young to have worms, but it's not unheard of - I recommend you have a fecal float before you administer a de-wormer.

It could be undigested food(s) if you are giving them anything else besides chick starter. If you haven't done so, offer a small cup of chick grit free choice.
I asked another member to take a look - hopefully she will give us her thoughts later in the day.

Back
Top Bottom