What is this?

jodis71

Hatching
Mar 2, 2018
I've only had rooster for several months all the sudden this black came up within the last week. What is it and what do I do?

Attachments

• 20181025_082105.jpg
    20181025_082105.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 64
Is there any place his comb could have gotten stuck while pecking at something? My Bridge tore her comb her first year and we never knew how. I assumed she got it stuck in the chicken wire, which their run walls were made of at the time. The torn part died and fell off and now she just has a shortened comb. Maybe look around and make sure your rooster isn’t catching his comb on anything?

67EE1039-99D5-436E-BA7C-152FB99FB802.jpeg

0671CEB1-91B3-40E5-A3BC-0ADBB579D0BF.jpeg

Thank you all! I'll check around to see if he got caught on something. I'll also watch hens closer with their interactions but I have never seen them go for him.
It seems to be larger today. I'm in Maine. Snowing today. It looks almost moist not scabbing. I have dusted coupe with DE, thinking maybe a mite. I'll keep watching. Anything I could put on it to help ot heal?

I'll also watch hens closer with their interactions but I have never seen them go for him.
I'm not saying the hens are going after him, I'm saying he will stand there and let them pick at the scabs on his comb. Who knows why a rooster does that, probably because he's getting attention.

I would put some BluKote on it. If it doesn't heal or gets worse, you may need to separate him out for several days do it can get better. He won't like being away from the though.

I had a hen who had a wound on her comb and it turned black like that. The black bit fell off and now she is happy and healthy again. Best of luck with your little roo!

Back
Top Bottom