What is this?

Loads of coal? Each spot is marked by a soot-covered finger tip?
I'm gonna go ahead and give it to ya. Loads of silver ore in this case, but you're dead-on. These are tally marks from ore carts pulling silver out of a mine I visited. The miners would use soot from their carbide lamps to tally loads, and sometimes they had pegboards with holes in them too to count loads. You would usually see them next to ore chutes, but not always.

Gosh thanks. That would have been a tough life. Where was that?

Next?
That mine is in southern Nevada. I'm not really able to say a lot more about the location other than that the main haulage adit has since been permanently closed by BLM to keep explorers out since I was there... 12 years ago now? Tramping through mines can be a dangerous and deadly hobby. I do not recommend exploring abandoned mines if you do not have proper gear, buddies, and training, and even then, always be aware of the risks and the site ownership status. If it's something that interests you, there are some youtubers who do explorations and post a lot of content about it. Not as good as being on the rope dropping down a shaft, but the upside is that watching vids is 100% safe and legal. :)

Seeing how no one else has jumped in.

20211201_162530.jpg

Back
Top Bottom