What is this?

Olivekat07

Songster
Dec 10, 2017
Tennessee
I got a rooster about 2 months ago and his previous owners put a band on his leg so you could identify his breed, and I guess before his spurs grew in it slid down to his foot. Now it cut through some of his foot. I have some pictures. And there is this black thing on one of his toes that is swollen. I think it is where the band cut off his circulation and the flesh there died or some thing.
Here are some pictures:
E19790AA-B2E3-4530-986A-28113D03B415.jpeg

3BEBF1E3-2F27-448A-8B1D-4EB9B0492407.jpeg

5167DA7A-25F1-4866-BC4F-5648A5D2B976.jpeg

Good thing we got it off of him or else’s any longer his foot would have been gone probably.
Help is much needed for the black thing on his toe.
Thank you so much.:)

My gosh. Those bands are to be checked, and larger put on when needed, just so this doesn't happen. I'd be soaking that leg/foot in warm epsom salt water for awhile. It will help with any infection, and help increase circulation. Glad you noticed, and cut it off.
Will do, the others don’t have bands, just him, we should have cut it off before we put him in the coop, but we forgot.:(
Thank you!

what will happen is the leg will inflate dramatically and the little black infection in your birds toe is gonna eat your bird alive. My bird has it once and both of her feet tell off and died. I tried to save her but There was nothing I could do. There is no exact remedy to gangrene the only thing in would say is soak it in Epsom salt water, keep the cage clean and hope that it doesn't spread.I hope she makes it this is one of the worst infections out there.

what will happen is the leg will inflate dramatically and the little black infection in your birds toe is gonna eat your bird alive. My bird has it once and both of her feet tell off and died. I tried to save her but There was nothing I could do. There is no exact remedy to gangrene the only thing in would say is soak it in Epsom salt water, keep the cage clean and hope that it doesn't spread.I hope she makes it this is one of the worst infections out there.
Ok, I’ll try to soak him:D

@Olivekat07 to me it looks like your has a toe tip that has suffered from frostbite or has been crushed. The black part will eventually fall off, but I think he may be fine. His foot is pretty swollen because of the band that you luckily discovered. I would soak his feet in warm Epsom salts for 20 minutes a day if you can bring him inside. But if not, I would just spray a little betadine or Vetericyn on the toe and the band area daily after taking if off.

Last edited:
Oh no... Your bird has gangrene.

Not everything that is black is gangrene. Sometimes a part will just die and turn black, no gangrene involved. She may have to consider amputating that tip if soaking doesn't help, but please don't try to scare the wits out of her!

I would not amputate it but let it fall off. There have been many cases of frostbite in toes and feet here on BYC this years and in past years, and most of the info I have read says to not cut the necrotic part off, but to let it come off naturally. I agree that posting something scary about gangrene is not very helpful, especially since it is not true. It can take a month or more for a black toe or a comb or wattle to fall off or become rounded.

Back
Top Bottom