What is this?

CaradineCousins

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Birmingham Alabama
Ok so we are on day 4 of treating Rocky for Wry Neck. Today I have noticed a lump or growth on the side his neck turns on. Right above the right wing. It is soft at first I thought it might be his crop since he lays on chest maybe it got pushed over? Am I feeding him to much? He is 3 weeks and I feed 1.5 tablespoons of wet mash 5 times a day. I also noticed today his right eye not opening he doesn't seem in distress chirps peacefully especially while eating. He holds his head straight while eating but with my left hand around his body and neck thru my thumb and forefinger sometimes he demands to stand and eat unassisted but only for a short time. Like maybe 30 seconds to a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_1602 (2).JPG
    IMG_1602 (2).JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1601 (2).JPG
    IMG_1601 (2).JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 12
He’s thriving yesterday he held his up for almost 30 minutes I noticed a lump on his shoulder at first I thought it was the crop I thought somehow it might have moved a little then I figured perhaps his beak pierced him it’s the side where the twist is, his eye on the same side he’s not opening I washed his head and eye this morning it looks better but still not opening

about a week before this happened he was attacked by Marans chicks that drew blood on his nose I removed them so perhaps the wry neck was brought on by inflammation/injury he is still on vitamin e wet mash scrambled eggs vitamin b complex water today I added a dash of ground cloves his poop is normal every once in awhile he has dirreaha

all in all I think he’s good thanks

My crossbeak, which also has a neck deformity, gets a pocket of air in that spot. It deflates after a while. Does the lump ever go away?

Attachments

• Inked20190403_114704_LI.jpg
    Inked20190403_114704_LI.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 7

This was taken yesterday right after feeding he gets real wet because of how wet my mash is and I have to have it that wet since he refuses any liquid either by droplets, him drinking on his own or trying to run down beak he shakes it off.
He had a little dirreaha last night his head got dirty I cleaned him up with q-tip dipped in warm water cleaned up his eye I have not
checked on him since tis morning
The room I have him in stays 75-80 degrees no drafts he is always warm when I pick him up he chirps peacefully I don’t usually hear distress calls unless he’s hungry I don’t work always home and check on him every 30 minutes he gets fed every 4 hours

I totally understand about the mash. My CB gets a very wet mash and it's a mess.

Glad it's not causing him any distress. At this point the most you can do is keep an eye on it - pay attention to the size, when it inflates, if/when it deflates. He's probably getting a lot of air when he eats and it has to go somewhere.

I totally understand about the mash. My CB gets a very wet mash and it's a mess.

Glad it's not causing him any distress. At this point the most you can do is keep an eye on it - pay attention to the size, when it inflates, if/when it deflates. He's probably getting a lot of air when he eats and it has to go somewhere.
Thank you so much for the encouragement and understanding where I am coming from he’s 3 weeks old and has been having troubles since hatch he didn’t have bad time just a day late but always smaller then his brother had a mild case of splay leg that righted itself the first one that hatched a week earlier had very badly curled toes that I made shoes for after about 2-3 hours after birth then I tried feeding it poultry cell and b complex from syringe it wouldn’t accept then I made mash wouldn’t eat it died day 5
All of these Faverolle were shipped eggs and my 1st incubator attempt 1st shipped eggs and 1st time with this breed

I’ve been raising chickens for 5 years we started with 15 pullets from a feed store 9 are still living, the next day I found this site and have loved it ever since

Back
Top Bottom