What is this?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi, my 8 month old golden retriever just had this red bumb pop up by her ear wondering if anyone knows what it is. We are calling the vet today once they open but the dont open for another 3 hours. She has been itching it. And we havent seen a tick on her we chrck everyday.
16542575421626479953154914900251.jpg

Hi, my 8 month old golden retriever just had this red bumb pop up by her ear wondering if anyone knows what it is. We are calling the vet today once they open but the dont open for another 3 hours. She has been itching it. And we havent seen a tick on her we chrck everyday.View attachment 3134541
Could it be a rash of some sort?

That isn't true for well bred dogs. The majority of goldens come from BYBs, and that causes issues. It isn't a breed issue, it's a breeder issue.
Golden retrievers are more likely than many other breeds to carry the N/Ich and Ich/Ich gene which causes skin issues. Now do good breeders test to make sure their dogs are N/N? Yes, but that does negate the fact that Goldens are more prone than many other breeds to carry those genes. There are 12 identified dog breeds with breed specific ichthyosis and golden retrievers are one of them. https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/ichthyosis-gr

Last edited:
Golden retrievers are more likely than many other breeds to carry the N/Ich and Ich/Ich gene which causes skin issues. Now do good breeders test to make sure their dogs are N/N? Yes, but that does negate the fact that Goldens are more prone than many other breeds to carry those genes.
To carry them. Two carriers will not be bred together by reputable breeders, and an affected dog will not be bred either.
Regardless, hot spots most commonly come from a scratch that a dog itches and/or licks until it becomes inflamed and irritated.

She does shake her head alot and rolls around like it does itch. I dont think it is a rash. Because there is a bump. This is the only time she ever had this. Although she did have a blood blister on her stomach but that was on her months ago. I was thinking some type of bite. Hopefully we can get into the vet they are booked out 2 weeks probably. Is there a test for those things that cause skin issues?

I will never buy from this breeder again. My puppy isnt registered but her parents are. I asked for the parents registration name/id and she wouldnt give it to me. Now she bred her golden to a poodle and she had 10 puppies and only 1 sold. So i hope she learned her lesson.

Back
Top Bottom