What is this??????

grannyhensdream

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2022
Here's a picture of what I found in the coop today. Anyone??

Attachments

• 20221109_073010.jpg
    20221109_073010.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 12
Possibly a lash egg - more likely a malformed soft shelled egg.
Hoping it's the soft shelled egg. i cut it open and there was just clear gel, like egg white in it. Just got over treating for coccidiosis which was scary at first then treatment healed them quickly. Having 15 hens I have no idea who even laid it. Ah the trials and tribulations of backyard chicken-ing.

Here's a picture of what I found in the coop today. Anyone??

Hoping it's the soft shelled egg. i cut it open and there was just clear gel, like egg white in it. Just got over treating for coccidiosis which was scary at first then treatment healed them quickly. Having 15 hens I have no idea who even laid it. Ah the trials and tribulations of backyard chicken-ing.
Do you have a photo of what it looked like inside?

If it was not solid and had albumen (egg white) inside, then very likely a membrane.

How old are your hens?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice?

It does sound more like it was a malformed egg. How old are the hens?
Since you just finished treating with Corid, interesting timing. There are cases when coccidiosis will cause shedding of lining, particularly of the cecal pouches following treatment, this thread has some pictures of that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...pected-cecal-core-excretion-coccidia.1270073/
I would just keep an eye on them, hopefully it will not repeat.

Do you have a photo of what it looked like inside?

If it was not solid and had albumen (egg white) inside, then very likely a membrane.

How old are your hens?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice?
Oh gosh! So sorry for the late reply. I never took a picture of it when I cut it open. My girls are 6-7 months and laying beautiful eggs. This hasn't happened again, so far. I alternate between egg shells and oyster shell. Hopefully it was just a one time thing. Thank you for responding. Happy Thanksgiving!!🦃

Back
Top Bottom