What is this!!

Nanadd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2022
First of all I don’t know which of my 5 chickens this came from. I have been observing them and only one seems just slightly less engaged than normal but that isn’t rare for her. 2nd This is covered in dirt. The dark areas are dirt. I had to remove it quickly because the chickens were eating it and it got knocked around.
3rd I don’t know what this is. There was no odor associated with i. 4th there was about a quarter sized amount of yolk in it. Any idea what it is or what I need to do. Also it’s gonna be 100 degrees outside tomorrow so I’m freaking out 🤯 cause I know that probably won’t make things any easier

Attachments

• D7D27CF8-0FD9-4859-9015-D293D5B48F7F.jpeg
    D7D27CF8-0FD9-4859-9015-D293D5B48F7F.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 42
  • D4BD8816-CCA3-471D-801B-7F38928B959B.jpeg
    D4BD8816-CCA3-471D-801B-7F38928B959B.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 9
Someone probably laid a shell-less egg outside. It happens sometimes, but it can also mean that they aren't getting enough calcium. Extreme heat can cause them, I think. One can be a fluke, but if you see another one anytime soon it is time to do some detective work.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Thank you! I will definitely keep an eye on the girls. Hopefully it is only a 1 time thing. I will update if anything else unusual happens.

Sounds good.

Yeah, it will definitely happen from time to time no matter what. You could add some oyster shell to their diet if you haven't already if you want to be preemptive. That seems to help balance out any deficiencies there.

Sounds good.

Yeah, it will definitely happen from time to time no matter what. You could add some oyster shell to their diet if you haven't already if you want to be preemptive. That seems to help balance out any deficiencies there.
I added a 2nd dish of oyster shells in a different area. just to be on the safe side.
We are keeping a close eye on all of them today. It’s already 100 outside and only gonna hotter. 🥵. It’s never that hot here so we’re 🤞 everything goes ok!

Yeah, I'll bet it is just the heat causing it, but you'll be covered either way. Basically freezing in Vermont. 😄 I wish we could take some of your hot days and you could take some of our cold rainy days.

Back
Top Bottom