1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT IS THIS?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HannahSmith2013, Sep 30, 2013.

1. HannahSmith2013

HannahSmith2013 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Braselton,Ga
    OH MY GOSH. This has been so frustrating for us. We have been told by several different people different things.

We have been told that we have Silver Duckwing Bantams (Rooster and Hen). We have currently hatched their chicks off. We got 2 roosters and 2 hens. One of the roosters is an exact replica of the papa rooster, the other rooster is completely different and the hens look exactly like mama except a shade or two darker.

What research we have done, our mama hen and the hen chicks look exactly, and I mean exactly, like a silver duckwing hen. We put pictures of our Roo up on the internet (not this site) and got a response from a Silver Duckwing breeder and were told that the hen (mama) looks promising but that while our rooster IS a Silver Duckwing, his feather colors are off and we shouldn't breed him if we wanted to show the offspring because of the bad genes. SO, we went to sell the rooster chicks we have (they look completely different) and we were told that we have Silver Gingers? The guy who told us this isn't a breeder and doesn't even own any Silver Gingers but I want to know if that is in fact what we have. Never even heard of them and there isn't much about them to research. I did find ONE picture of some and they are almost entirely WHITE and our chickens do NOT look like that. Not the roosters or the hens.

Our way of thinking is if we got 4 chicks and the 2 hens looks TOTALLY like a Silver Duckwing hen and NOTHING like a Silver Ginger hen, how do we have Silver Gingers?

I'm going to post pictures of the Papa Rooster, Mama Hen and then the pullets and cockerels we have.

I am also entirely aware that we could have mix breed chickens or at least a mix breed Rooster but I want to know that for sure and if it is mix breed, what exactly it's mixed with.

PLEASE HELP!
    [​IMG]
    Bonnie (Mama Hen)
    [​IMG]
    Clyde (Papa Rooster)
    [​IMG]
    cockerel #1
    [​IMG]
    cockerel #2
    [​IMG]
    Hen #1
    [​IMG]
    Hen #2

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your hens do look like Silver Duckwing Old English Game, but your roosters don't have quite the right color pattern. They might be poor quality Old English Game, or OEGB mixes.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, your hens definitely look like Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantams. However, I agree that the coloring on your males birds is off, especially in your adult cock. They could be mixed with another variety of OEGB, or could just be non-show-quality birds. I have never heard of the Silver Ginger variety before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by