What is this?!

canofstew

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013

This is our 8 week old from an Golden Comet hen and a Speckled Sussex Roo. I don't have any idea what breed it would be- probably just a mutt. But the sexing is what I am worried about... Any feedback on this baby would be helpful
1f603.png
Thanks in advance!!

Yes...it is a mutt, and the auto-sexing from the Gold Comet will not carry over, so it is a mutt...which are delightful additions to the flock.

However, they can be trickier to sex as they can mature faster and not quite as standardized as the purebreeds.

Right now, I am leaning towards roo with your 8 week old chick due to comb size but there isn't much redness so there is every hope that this is simply an early maturing female especially since no wattles are showing.

Keep watching. Roos will get nice red combs by 10 weeks (usually). If the comb gets bigger but stays yellow I would say its a pullet. I had a similar mutt pullet lay at 13 weeks!

Good luck with your new brood.

Lady of McCamley

I think it's a roo. Pretty large comb, tall stance, fat legs.
But, I'd wait a bit longer. Cross your fingers that I'm wrong!

I'm going to disagree and guess pullet.

The comb is not large or pink, and there are no wattles yet.. I always have wattles on 8 week old boys.

If this helps compare the comb. This pullet is 7 weeks here.

Definately a mutt. Nothing wrong with a mutt you know Hybred Vigor and all. As far as the sex goes and I had to guess I would go with rooster too, but you can never tell. She may just be confident in her femiminity.

Back
Top Bottom