What is Too Cold for the Chicken Coop?

All good advice. Will have to check out that post/website suggested. When we winterize our old house, we'll have to do the same to the coop. I just want to be sure they'll be okay when it gets really cold, espeically the ones that were half pecked clean in their former (overcrowded) coop at a neighbors. Thanks for the tips about the water, too. I have a couple heated dog dishes; I think I'll clean one up good and stick it out there. I have 7 chickens and a 10 box brooder dealy, so there's plenty of room for each to nestle in, but there's also plenty of roost space on the brooder and their roost, so I think they'll be okay if I can get them to get along. The new chickens I got are NOT friendly...maybe have to remove the crabby one, but that's a whole other issue for a different topic!
smile.png

Last edited:
So my other question, as I read on about taking care of my chickens...can they be let out in the snow or will that be too cold for their feet?

Snow is no problem.

Packed-flat ice at very low temperatures, or bare frozen ground at very low temperatures, can sometimes be a problem; and in any case they dont' usually *like* it much.

You can put down straw or something like that, if you feel the ground is too hard-icy (as opposed to fluffy-snowy), which they generally quite enjoy, although it may get stenchy in a thaw and need replacing.

Some people feel that feather-footed breeds in slushy snow have problems and should be kept off it, others don't have problems with that situation; I have no personal opinion as all my birds are clean-footed.

Pat

That's one reason I like a clean-legged bird too. Some ideas to share in the links below. Be sure your roosts and any other sleeping areas are not drafty. Heat lamps can be a problem both for safety reasons and because if the power goes out, they are not adapted to cope.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom