What is up with all the tail-less squirrels?

I have a tailless squirrel in my yard. She appeared about 2 years ago with a small tuft about 1 inch long. She was a baby and has grown up with all the other squirrels in the yard. I noticed with this fall breeding season she has a mate now. They play, chase and feed together. I'm thrilled she was accepted. I never noticed any type injury and suspect it was a birth defect.

We have one in out yard in WNY. Argued about what it was. Glad you posted this. I said it was a red squirrel that's tail got chopped. Now I know I might have a family of tailless squirrels.

Some male squirrel s will actually ,castrate young males in the nest ,wether its an old wives tale i dont know ,but i have seen my share of EUNICH squirrel when ive hunted them ,so maybe rival sqaauks are to blame.

This past summer I noticed a red squirrel in my yard that didn't have a tail. I thought nothing of it beyond, "Oh, he must have had a close call with something. Lost his tail, but kept his life. Lucky him." Since then I have been seeing this squirrel everywhere, and each time I say, "You, again?" Seriously, this squirrel is so present that everyone I know has heard about him and several visitors have seen him.

Yesterday, I see him again. He is being chased by another squirrel and they are running around doing squirrel things when I realize that the second squirrel is also missing it's tail. What the heck? No wonder I keep seeing him everywhere- "he" is apparently "they". So then this morning, I see yet another squirrel with only half a tail. What is going on?

I did some research and there was actually a study done on tail-less squirrels. There is no genetic "oops" that causes squirrels to not have tails. The condition is usually as a result of misfortune. There have randomly been incidents of squirrels being born without them (congenital defect), it is not a defect that "runs in the family".

So, I am wondering why I have a bevy of tail-less squirrels suddenly? Really unlucky predators? Any opinions?

idunno.gif
I have been asking the same question as there are lots of squirrels with no, or very short tails locally. It seems to be two generations affected.

My belief is it is a freak of nature. I haven't seen any tailless squirrels but have seen (for example) a 2 headed turtle and other oddities. My guess would be there is a freak gene and some of the offspring may also have the deformity. Good luck...

This past summer I noticed a red squirrel in my yard that didn't have a tail. I thought nothing of it beyond, "Oh, he must have had a close call with something. Lost his tail, but kept his life. Lucky him." Since then I have been seeing this squirrel everywhere, and each time I say, "You, again?" Seriously, this squirrel is so present that everyone I know has heard about him and several visitors have seen him.

Yesterday, I see him again. He is being chased by another squirrel and they are running around doing squirrel things when I realize that the second squirrel is also missing it's tail. What the heck? No wonder I keep seeing him everywhere- "he" is apparently "they". So then this morning, I see yet another squirrel with only half a tail. What is going on?

I did some research and there was actually a study done on tail-less squirrels. There is no genetic "oops" that causes squirrels to not have tails. The condition is usually as a result of misfortune. There have randomly been incidents of squirrels being born without them (congenital defect), it is not a defect that "runs in the family".

So, I am wondering why I have a bevy of tail-less squirrels suddenly? Really unlucky predators? Any opinions?

idunno.gif
We also have had a grey squirrel without a tail for two years now and this year a baby without a tail, in grey, as well.

Back
Top Bottom