What is up with my drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, May 30, 2010.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    He keeps on picking on one duck that had surgery on her foot but is better now. I have kept him away from all of the other ducks for several days... and he still remembers that she is the one to pick on... I thought he would forget about it after a while. He mates with her repeatedly and her neck gets all torn up. She gets along fine with the other girls... and he gets along fine with the other girls... but I can't keep him with the girls because he picks on her. I like him, but am really getting kind of tired of having to keep them apart. If anyone has any ideas that would help please let me know. She is such a sweetie - getting rid of her is not an option. I don't want to get rid of him either as I need him to fertilize the eggs in the spring for hatching in my classroom. He is a very pretty blue runner too.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sometimes drakes just hound a "low status" duck. Jack, my khaki drake, used to pick on my runner all the time. I sold him. The drake I have now doesn't single anyone out for harassment, but he does attack my toes [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless you intend to hatch more eggs, simply seperate him from your hens until autumn when the breeding season is over. If that doesn't adjust his attitude, get another drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by