What is up with my hatches?? Any and all tips welcome!!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
This is pertaining to all 'other' fowl. In the past few weeks, I have hatched turkey, coturnix quail, chukars, guineas, pheasant, and soon to be bobwhite quail. Here is the deal....
Turkey hatched a day early on June 1.
Coturnix hatched as expected on day 18 (June 5)
Chukars had a weird hatch, some hatched right on time, others hatched 2 days late with help. The ones that hatched late all died.
One little pheasant hatched today, and they were due on Thursday.(June 11th)
The guineas aren't even due until Monday, but I have one little baby goonie in the brooder. Not sure if any others are going to hatch or not, there are no more internal or external pips.
The reason that I know there are no internal pips is because I had to move my pipped bobwhite eggs to the hatcher!!
ep.gif
These aren't due until the 17th, which is Wednesday!!

What the heck is going on?? I have a genesis 1583, the styro bator with the big picture window. This model has a wafer thermostat and a fan. The thermometer is on the turner, and reading between 99.1 and 99.7 I just put a second thermometer in there, on the other side of the bator. But I don't think temp is the problem, or they would all be hatching early or late? So what gives? Any thoughts or comments are welcome!! I'm completely stumped!!

Oh, and it's odd that eggs that are the same size (chukar and pheasant) would hatch late, when the much larger egg (turkey) hatched early, as well as the guineas, and now the bobwhites, when the smaller (or same size as bobwhite) eggs hatched right on time?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I had the same exact things happen! Most of the issues were chicks (even chickens) hatching the day to stop turning...!!! 4 days before due! LOL! Some hatched late (chickens) but all died.
idunno.gif

It would make sense if the same sized eggs were hatching the same (early or late), but the coturnix were right on time, and the bobwhites are pipped 5 days early. The chukars, which were bought from the same person, set in the same bator at the same time, had some hatch on time and some late. Then the pheasants were late as well. But the guineas were early? The pheasant just hatched today, the guinea hatched last night, and the bobwhites are pipped now. So these things are all happening at the same time, and it doesn't make any sense!!
he.gif
barnie.gif

Well, I have Genesis 1588 and .. it seems like it has quite much differece in temperatures around the bator. My grey partridge were quite late and had difficult hatch, while now yesterday I saw, that my pheasant eggs, that I should have put in the hatcher today and stop turning, they would be due 18.-19 june (24.-25th day), were starting to pip internally. Today some of them are internally pipped, and today is day 22 (well, since I set them in the evening, it will be full 22 in the evening today).
When I measure the temps, I see quite big temp differences
sad.png
. I don`t know, is it because I have different sized eggs in same bator and they are not distributed evenly, different egg racks, or why is the fan not able to circle the air properly, it does make some sound like it`s gonna broke soon (yet I have been using it for 4 weeks) ....
So maybe this is a problem with some of the incubators, they have hot sides and cooler sides, so that actually makes eggs hatch late and early?

Back
Top Bottom