What is up with this egg!!!

Duckee

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Southern Illinois
I have a 6 year old comet that was laying up to 5 times weekly then stopped laying after an attack on the coop in june that ended in 4 pullets dead. She was not injured at all.
She esstentially picked up "Rooster" behavior and stopped laying. In September she started a molt. For the most part she is out of molt, and she started laying again! Twice a week.
Problem is, her eggs are not right! They are paper thin with "burn like" spots, and no white on the inside of the shell! Her yolk & whites are normal with good color and substance.
I know my girls have plenty of all nutrients and also I keep seperate calcium and seperate grit. The other laying gals lay great eggs with tough shells ( kinda hard to crack them).
Is this just an "aging out" thing? Or is something wrong with my Chickaletta?
Here is her shell and the shell of another comet
20201021_214352.jpg

20201021_214717.jpg

Her eggs used to be dark. Like a #4 on the marans egg chart.
So I just have to let it take its natural course? Im worried one may break inside her.
Well if she's being fed a balanced diet and parasite free then as long as she's healthy I'd just let her go about her business.
With my sex link she pretty much stared falling apart like a old car and I finally culled her because it seemed like the inevitable was happening and I did not want her to suffer. You'll know when the time comes if she just doesn't go naturally.

Ok. Thanks for helping me through this. She's my best gal & i would be ok if she never laid again, but was healthy. I do keep in my head that even chickens days are numbered :(
How old is she? My comets are almost five now, which I believe is old for a production chickens! I know they’ve slowed way down on their egg production and some thin shells. I hate seeing them age though.

How old is she? My comets are almost five now, which I believe is old for a production chickens! I know they’ve slowed way down on their egg production and some thin shells. I hate seeing them age though.
She is six years old. She just went through a molt and those new feathers make her look young again. Her eggs tell her true age though. I notice she is letting my 5 year old brabanter take the lead now. It breaks my heart to see the leader of the flock voluntarily step down :(

You've done well to have all of these hens to age five! Many don't live that long, and five years is really good.
Mary
Last year they got a bacterial infection and my vet was surprised how old they were and that was the first time they were sick. I did loose on hen but the one that was the worst is still with us and doing well. It’s my comet rooster that’s worrying me. He’s always been sweet and such a great defender of his girls but lately my bantam rooster has taken most of his hens. He’s moving so slow now.

Last year they got a bacterial infection and my vet was surprised how old they were and that was the first time they were sick. I did loose on hen but the one that was the worst is still with us and doing well. It’s my comet rooster that’s worrying me. He’s always been sweet and such a great defender of his girls but lately my bantam rooster has taken most of his hens. He’s moving so slow now. Btw. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom