what is wrey neck?

pinkwindsong

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Laurens SC
what is wry neck and is if fixable in a day old chick. we got 20 broilers from 4-h and this am its head is backwards on its body??? is this what it is? or did it break its neck.. its still alive been giving it water.. I just cant cull it I dont know how but I want to make sure it isnt fixable first. ?

Wry neck is a vitamin deficiency that causes neurological symptoms. It needs polyvisol infant vitamins without iron and vitamin e. Selenium helps too. Good luck.

Ive heard that they can recover by them selves. It takes a long time though.
smile.png

I gave it vitamin and water and well see how she makes the night..

so do you think that if this one was vitamin deficient the others maybe too.. so did they not get chicks from a good breeder/hatchery I am giving them the chick water stater stuff.. think that will be enough?

hope so

The problem is that if the soil where you live does not have selenium, then things that grow in it are also deficient. So unless it is added to the diet of the breeders, perhaps the offspring suffer? I have started adding minerals to my chicken feed.

Quote:
none of the other chicks we got from the 4-h seam to have any problems so I am hopeing that this one is it.. and he can put it int he study book that he has to turn back in including possible casues of it being possible defecendy at the breeing level might see about a different breeder next year?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom