What Is Wrong W/ My Chickens???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixrus, Oct 30, 2009.

1. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    they've stopped laying!!! i was getting 9-11 eggs a day, and now i'm down to 3!!!! we have lighting in the coop, they're penned up so they can't lay anywhere...UGH I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a hen that laid 9 eggs in 15 days and now she's quit me. I have her in a breeding pen out of the coop where the light is on from 6AM to 8PM.

Must be the time of year.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Are they loosing feathers? It could be molting.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Their bodies need to rest during the shorter days of the year (lighting beyond natural daylight hours may wear hens out sooner - I don't do it). It is natural for them to take a rest and it's good for them to rest. It is not something to be upset about. This will make them stronger and able to resume more active egg laying in the spring and summer. You will find a lot of information about this by reading on this site.
    Of course, all that said, make sure they always have really good and fresh nutrition as this can affect the ability of their bodies to do the work required to make an egg.
    JJ

And p.s., as noted above, during molting (and for a time before and after) they don't lay much if at all then either. Molting uses a tremendous amount of energy and there is none to spare for making eggs. They need really good nutrition during this time as well.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    i doubt that they're moulting since they just started laying less than two months ago [​IMG]

6. RubyMabelandPearl

RubyMabelandPearl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    My chickens just started laying two months ago and one of them is molting. Pearl, my white leghorn, went from laying 6 (!) eggs a week to 0 in a week. There are white feathers everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We never use artificial light to force them to lay. I agree, they need a rest. They will lay plenty in the spring. When they drop off on laying, we make sure they have vitamins, so they will be healthy when they begin overwhelming us with eggs in the spring!

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:The time when a bird starts laying has nothing to do with when they will molt. A bird molts regardless of if/when they are laying. If it's that time of year, they will molt.

9. stacia907

stacia907 New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I have a similar question to chixrus-I may be a little anxious about this since she just started laying but here it is: one of my chickens layed her first egg last week then none the next day then one and now it's been 3-4 days and no more eggs! Is this normal? My girls free range and I was worried that she may have started laying them outside the nesting box but I live in Anchorage AK and it's REALLY cold right now and I have searched the yard and found nothing. Any ideas? I have a heat lamp on them to extend their days to 12 hours of sun-I know some think this isn't right but if I didn't I wouldn't get eggs most of the year!

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Heat or light? Significantly extending light unnaturally may well do your birds in sooner.
    JJ

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by