What is wrong with Goliath's Comb? Pics!

D.gif
What a huge, lovely boy! No wonder he's called Goliath! He's fantastic. It looks like he's had a nasty peck or injured himself on something sharp. I think if it was frostbite it would be on the tips of his comb. Could it be a melanoma-type thing? It seems strange that it's on both sides of his comb. If it doesn't appear to be healing soon - take him to the vet. I hope he'll be ok. Keep us all posted.

Hi there,
Fowl pox can look something like this--can be irregular, scabby pox, like big chicken pox on the face, comb and wattles. We're getting it now in central California since the mosquito population is revving up. With dry pox you'd just offer general TLC and wait for it to pass. But that's just a guess! Could be a wound also...He's purty!

I was wondering what was causing comb damage on my flock, then found it is the dividers on my antique galvanized hanging feeder. It works great still for the EE's but no std comb chickens allowed at it anymore, it caught on their comb when they back out.

Quote:
Wrong place for frostbite from what I see. A little experience with that...The tips go first, as BB said. BB does it look like it was ever an open wound? It just looks discolored from the pics. I don't know about fighting. It's pretty odd that it appears on both sides like that.

Looks like a fungus to me. I've heard that birds can get it, but haven't seen it in person myself. But that's what it looks like to me. I'm sure there must be something you can treat it with if it is.

Frost-bite occures on the tips of the comb.

Tamara

Back
Top Bottom