What is wrong with Merida?!?!

That is probably Fowl Pox. Fowl Pox is a viral disease spread by mosquitoes and other flying insects. It causes scabs on the comb and face and sometimes in the throat (if it turns into the "wet" form).

Fortunately, Fowl Pox isn't usually that serious, unless it does become severe and transition into the wet form. The scabs should vanish in 3-5 weeks or so. To help them dry up and go away, you can put iodine on them. Applying some antibiotic ointment may also be a good idea, to prevent infection.

Be on the lookout for more severe symptoms and a cheesy substance in the throat and beak. This signifies that the birds have wet Fowl Pox, which is more serious, as it can cause trouble breathing and eating.

Bascially, all you can do is wait for it to go away. The Fowl Pox will have weakened the immune system, which means that other diseases could invade. Respiratory diseases, in particular, often come along with Fowl Pox. So, be aware of that and watch for other symptoms.

Good luck with your birds!

Oh , that's Fowl Pox! It's a virus that can be transmitted by a mosquito, and then they pass it along to each other. It just has to run it's course. There's no cure really, but it does go away, and then they are immune.

My flock has just gotten over the Fowl Pox a few weeks ago. There's nothing for you to do really. A few of my hens got it around their eyes, but really, they only had one bad day and then they were remarkably better the next day. A few of my birds did sneeze and seem to have a mild cold, but that too went away. I had no losses.

Are they doing OK, except for the scabby marks?

Thanks for the responses!! I'll definitely check their beaks. They all seem to be acting normal- Merida was even in the nesting box until I took them a treat- then they all came running:)

Hopefully it will go away quickly. They look so pitiful!

Help!! all our chickens have these spots, but our sweet EE looks terrible. What could it be?
That looks like a mild case of dry pox. As long as they're eating and drinking they should be fine. If you see any that look off, or aren't eating, give them a thorough exam and check their entire body, including the insides of their mouth. Dry pox lesions can be found any place on the body without feathers. The comb is more common, but they can also get them on their legs, feet and vent. Wet pox lesions are found inside the mouth.

This is what I dealt with last year:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...xx-rated-graphic-pictures-of-pus-and-scabs/60

-Kathy

Oh yuck. Well, they aren't acting off yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. Another question- can it be transmitted to humans? I let my kids hold them and collect eggs.

Ok. I know I only just noticed it this morning but she looks even worse now. The red skin above her eyes is getting swollen and her comb is huge. But she did lay an egg and is still eating and drinking. I couldn't get a good look into her beak, though. I hope she's going to be ok.

Back
Top Bottom