What is wrong with my chicken’s eye?

dolphintat

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
What is wrong with my chickens eye and can I clean it/remove it. The outer casing is hard. She is eating well and moving about okay. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpeg
    IMG_2444.jpeg
    589.2 KB · Views: 10
Looks like an eye infection. Use a small clean wash cloth run it under very warm water, squeeze the towel enough to where it's damp. Place it over the eye to soften the crusted eyed and slowly remove some the crust. Then apply some antibiotic cream or neosporin over it. You need to repeat the process for 3 days. If it gets any larger, there would be bacterial pus growing around the eye and need to manually be removed. If it gets to that point you'll need 2nd person to hold her while you remove the pus then reapply neosporin over it.

Do you know what happened or when it started? It looks like dried pus and secretions, which could be a respiratory infection or an infected eye from pecking or a foreign body inside. The warm wet compress that Tonyroo suggested cannbe done for 15 minutes while holding the chicken. A pan of very warm water next to you to rewarm the compress (wring it out and fold it, and washcloth makes a good one,) works well.

If it is dried puss, try to get it out with q tips or freezers used carefully. Having someone to help you hold may be good. When the eye is clear, look for any foreign body or damage to the nictitating membrane (3 rd eyelid.) Sometimes a seed or dirt can get under that, causing infection. Pecks around the eye might cause swelling and discharge. Use saline or eye wash to flush the eye twice a day, once the gunk is out. Then apply either Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin twice a day into the eye. A picture of the eye cleaned up would be good.

If you see nasal drainage, head shaking, sneezing, head crackles or rattles, I would treat for a respiratory disease with Tylosin or Denagard.

Looks like an eye infection. Use a small clean wash cloth run it under very warm water, squeeze the towel enough to where it's damp. Place it over the eye to soften the crusted eyed and slowly remove some the crust. Then apply some antibiotic cream or neosporin over it. You need to repeat the process for 3 days. If it gets any larger, there would be bacterial pus growing around the eye and need to manually be removed. If it gets to that point you'll need 2nd person to hold her while you remove the pus then reapply neosporin over it.
Thank you. I will give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom