What is wrong with my Nigerian Dwarf Goat???

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
I have three Nigerian dwarf goats. One male two females. I acquired Hansel and Gretel, the ram and doe as a pair and a few months later I acquired the 2nd doe, Glenda. in December the two does gave birth to a boy and girl kids. I read somewhere and someone told me I had to separate Hansel from the does because he could hurt or kill the kids.
After 4 months of separation at last I found good homes for the kids and they are gone! But, family bliss is not to be found with the trio.

The ram, Hansel, is acting aggressive with Glenda. It’s not letting her eat, or get close to the other doe Greta. His phallus, is continuously sticking out and is constantly baaing also making a noise like sneezing. I know he must be anxious to breed with the does, but I don’t understand why is he behaving like that only with one of the does. He seems to be ignoring Greta.

Thank you for your help. And any behavior info you can give on this “gentleman.” 🙄

This may sound snarky, but it is certainly not meant that way. I am really trying to be helpful. It sounds to me like you need to teach that buck some basic manners. This is important for your own safety if nothing else. If you tie him up he can't hit you. If he has been taught proper behavior he wouldn't even try. I have had a lot of experience with goats, but mine were all full size dairy goats, not Nigerians. I routinely gave shots, clipped, medicated, trimmed feet and did anything else with my bucks that was necessary and the worst they would do was wiggle or maybe step on my feet. None of them would have even thought about hitting me or threatening me in any way. That said, separating him is a good idea. If he could be in an enclosure that is next to the ladies where he can see and talk to them that would be best. For him anyway. The does don't care where he is as long as he is not bothering them. Best of luck with your goats. It is a learning experience no matter how long you have had them.

For some reason Glenda smells to him like she is in heat. Your best bet is to simply separate him. I am sure Glenda would appreciate it. Just so you know, male goats are called bucks. Male sheep are called rams. Don't feel too bad. Nobody knows everything. Not even me.

Here is something you might try. I would give it about a 1% chance of working but it might be worth giving it a shot. Try swabbing out his nose with something like Vicks or some strong smelling cheap perfume so he can't smell her and see what happens.

From the first moment I let him out after being cooped up for 4 months, he favored Glenda over Greta, the doe he grew up with. Today he is behaving better but I would like to separate him for a few days from the two girls in the goat enclosure to give the ladies a break. As far as getting that close to swab Vick’s vaporub on his nose, a good look at his horns and it gives me apprehension he will ram me with them. 😳
So his behavior has been normal for mashing habits of Nigerian dwarf goats? I should probably google that.
thank you for your help. Stay safe! 🙏🤗

Good morning! Just in from working with the goats. I have good news! Hansel, buck, is very gentle again. With his ladies and with me! I think having him separate from the females for four months might have gotten him mad with everyone. He doesn’t understand why I had to separate him from the kids and moms for so long!
I wanted the does to feed the kids and I heard or read that Hansel could hurt the kids and try to mate with the moms within weeks of delivering. That’s why I had to separate him from the rest of the family. Also, it took longer than I expected because of the covid19, I had new good homes for the kids about 2 months old, weaned and then it happened. The buyers didn’t want them at that time. I had to wait until things calmed down.
anyway I think the buck will be ok!

I have another Question. During winter I was feeding them twice a day because the lack of grass and giving them hay everyday. Now they have a lot of grass and I am wondering if I should just feed them once at night before bed? And occasional hay.
thank you for your help.

I really think you should offer hay all the time. I have never had trouble with the bucks hurting the kids. It is a good idea to keep the bucks away from does that have just given birth because sometimes they will try to breed them at that time. I don't know why and the does sure don't appreciate it. Other than that the buck won't try to breed the does unless they are coming into heat.

I have three ND bucks. They are all well behaved with me and I have never felt threaten or fearful of them.

For everyone's sake you may want to consider separating them permanently and only putting the buck in with the does when you are ready for them to be breed. It's better for their overall health if you only breed once a year. You may also consider keeping one of his sons (castrated) in the future to be a companion to the buck.

Back
Top Bottom