What is wrong with my rabbit?

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I put my buck and doe together to breed yesterday. They are both Mini rexs. They were out in a large 10 x 10 ground pen. They were together from 9-7. They both appeared healthy before placing them together. Neither is proven, and both are under 2 years. The doe was extremely submissive and immediately stretched out with her tail up. I saw them breed successfully twice. They were not fighting or anything at all. The doe had plenty of space to outrun the buck. When I went to take them both back to their hutches, the buck was acting/looking normal. The doe, however, was not putting any weight on her hind right foot. Also, her you-now-what was very swollen and bright red. I am not sure what is wrong with her. She did pee or poop (I think) right when I put her in the hutch. Today, she was just sitting there, looking uncomfortable. She'll hop around a little but then sit down again. She ate some food and greens. She is easily stressed and a very jumpy bunny so I didn't want to stress her more by feeling her leg. She was still red and swollen down there though. Any thoughts?

Her vulva may be irritated by being bred too many times. It was also not a good idea to leave the rabbits alone together. They may have gotten into a fight. That would be my guess as to what happened. As bunnylady has said, two rabbits will get along just fine until they don't.

She is better today. Much less swollen and red. About leaving them alone together, they were checked on multiple times throughout the day. The pen was huge with a crate and a board so they could escape each other. I have had around 20 litters throughout 9 years so I have enough experience not to leave them all day. What should I do about her leg? still limping.

I don't think there is much you can or should do about it. It will most likely heal up just fine on its own. Just give it time.

Even if it's broken?
If the bones are aligned it will heal just fine. It is unlikely it is broken. It is most probable it is just bruised and strained. That said, you mentioned that it is difficult to examine the rabbit. It would be even more difficult for you to splint it. However, if she is putting any weight on it at all and using it even a little bit it isn't broken.

Back
Top Bottom