What is wrong with my silkies?

Spazzers88

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
I cannot figure out what is going on with my silkies! I have a very diverse flock. Ranging from Americaunas, Barred Rocks, Austrolorps, and various mixes. I added one silkie rooster about two month ago. Two days after we got him (from a very healthy happy home) he presents with crook neck. 3 weeks of steriods and vitamin supplements and he's back to perfect health. We added three more of his buddies from the same farm (all silkie roos) and they seemed to fit in perfectly. It has been about three or four weeks since adding the other three. Now the original that presented with crook neck and recovered seems to be paralyzed. He looks dead and is just laying in his isolation cage. I have him back on steroids and vitamin supplement. He takes it, eats a little and then just lays there. Now a second silkie is doing the same thing. He is still semi-eating and able to stand up on his own (unlike the first one). THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SIGN OF INJURY TO EITHER BIRD.
The rest of the flock seems perfectly fine. This morning a third silkie has just completely disappeared. We cannot find him anywhere. They were perfectly healthy and happy in their previous home (for months) but they were only kept with other silkies.

ANY THOUGHTS, INSIGHTS, WHAT IS GOING ON?

I've been doing some research and it's looking like Mereks Disease
th.gif

http://poultrykeeper.com/nervous-system-problems/mareks-disease-chickens

Any other thoughts? Should I vaccinate the whole flock? I don't even know where to begin.

I've been doing some research and it looks like Mereks Disease
th.gif

Any other thoughts. Why were they perfectly healthy for months at the other farm and now this?

Back
Top Bottom