What is wrong with Nina???

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
This morning when my wife went to check on the girls, she found Nina wheezing and not moving much. I can't see any blockage in her throat either. She seems to be struggling to breathe. We isolated her and then had a friend come over who has a lot more experience (and a lot more chickens) to look at her. She brought along some kind of medication that is used for respiratory distress, but I don't recall the name of it. We gave her some of that and our friend said we could give her some every couple of hours or so. She extends her neck to get more air, too. It's so sad to see her suffering. Is there anything else we can do for her?

I tried attaching a video but it says the format is not supported, which is strange because it's the latest video format on my phone. Such is life.

You can upload a video to YouTube or similar site, with a link posted here. Does your hen have any bubbles/foam in an eye, swelling of the face or eyelid, head shaking, swallowing of mucus, or gasping? Do you have any wormer, such as SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen in case worms could be causing some breathing problems? Have you added any new birds recently or has anyone with sick chickens been around your chickens recently? How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Is there any swelling or fluid in her lower belly under her vent?

You can upload a video to YouTube or similar site, with a link posted here. Does your hen have any bubbles/foam in an eye, swelling of the face or eyelid, head shaking, swallowing of mucus, or gasping? Do you have any wormer, such as SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen in case worms could be causing some breathing problems? Have you added any new birds recently or has anyone with sick chickens been around your chickens recently? How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Is there any swelling or fluid in her lower belly under her vent?
I didn't see any bubbles or anything in her eyes. She has difficulty breathing with every breath, but no apparent swelling, head shaking, or mucus that we could detect.

No wormer, but I'll get some.

She's a new bird to the flock. We had five, and recently added five more. She is one of the new ones. None of the other nine girls have any symptoms that are similar. No one near them who has had sick chickens that we know of either.

I'd say she is probably 6-12 months old. She is laying. She actually laid an egg while in the tent today. We just isolated her this morning and she laid within an hour of being in the isolation tent.

Her vent looks great. I didn't detect anything abnormal there either. I'll see about uploading a video to my YouTube channel.

Thank you!!

Mike

Her comb is purple now. I suspect it's from her agonistic breathing and lack of oxygen. She is shaking her head occasionally now as well and gives a quick flap of her wings and then just settles down to try and breathe more.

1000011829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom