What is wrong with their combs?

My three roosters used to have perfectly red combs, but lately their combs have been changing colors. The rooster with the most black and grey comb is Mac, the rooster with the funny looking comb is Plumita, and the rooster with the least color change is Caramelo. I’m thinking the change was because of the recent cold weather but it’s only a thought. What is causing the change? View attachment 2543951View attachment 2543952View attachment 2543953View attachment 2543954View attachment 2543955View attachment 2543956View attachment 2543957
Frostbite. Poor guys! Sometimes, you can put a bit of Vaseline on their combs at night to help with the frostbite.

My three roosters used to have perfectly red combs, but lately their combs have been changing colors. The rooster with the most black and grey comb is Mac, the rooster with the funny looking comb is Plumita, and the rooster with the least color change is Caramelo. I’m thinking the change was because of the recent cold weather but it’s only a thought. What is causing the change? View attachment 2543951View attachment 2543952View attachment 2543953View attachment 2543954View attachment 2543955View attachment 2543956View attachment 2543957
Frostbite for sure. One of my roos has already lost comb tips to it, and one of my large fowl roos has already lost a toe to it. With some others going to lost the toe tips, it's been so frigid the last week (until today). Like posted above, anything black is dead and will fall off on it's own, no messing with it.

I know that in Central America (at least of what I have heard) that people cut the combs off of roosters for fighting to make them more angry, so would they be more mean and will their combs grow back?
No, they don't grow back, and cutting it doesn't necessarily make them meaner. It may definitely make them more human aggressive because they'll likely see the ones who cut their comb off as a threat. But if it's lost by frost bite, it shouldn't affect their temperament toward you.

No, they don't grow back, and cutting it doesn't necessarily make them meaner. It may definitely make them more human aggressive because they'll likely see the ones who cut their comb off as a threat. But if it's lost by frost bite, it shouldn't affect their temperament toward you.
Dubbing combs don't make them human aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom