What Is Wrong With This Coop?

Impressive! definitely more high tech than anything you'd find here. Really nicely done. Do you think their is anything wrong with it? i find coops are a touch personal, what works for some doesn't always work for all.. plus nothing replaces real experience, you find quickly what works and doesn't, especially after a winter.. yes, trying to prevent problems is good but i find something always crops up over time, farm work is never done.. whew.

Click on this link and tell me what I did wrong.

Lol.

I don't think we can ever tell what we did wrong until we use the coop for a year. It seems that we're never completely happy with what we have. A human issue, I think.

These are just comments by the way. I don't think you did anything wrong. We all have likes and dislikes and different situations and budgets, etc.

As some have mentioned: hardware cloth. Around the bottom of the coop and around the bottom of the run area. We lost a chicken when we started with a new chicken tractor a few years back because a skunk (we think based on smell) reached a grubby little paw in and hurt one of our little pullets. So sad. You'd think the chicken would move away from the predator, but there was probably other critters on the other side of the coop scaring them all. Plus it was in the dark.

As some have mentioned: the tarp. The tarp!!!! Of course, you know this, but the second it shows any deterioration, replace it, or you or some kiddos will be out picking up tiny tarp strips. They don't rake up easily either, so it will be work on your hands and knees. They do make really thick, heavy canvas tarps. Maybe you can find a used one from a long haul trucker on Craigs List. This is on my to-do list.

Did anyone mention wind breaks (sun, snow and rain breaks)? I put scrap lumber or whole sheets of plywood up along the sides of the runs year round for wind breaks. I have also used some scrap metal roofing (secured!) for wind breaks on the north of the runs. I like that I can move the plywood away from the run, though, on muggy days when any little breeze is appreciated. The wind breaks also help keep the blowing snow and/or rain out of the run. The pieces of plywood have been known to blow around, so I can't say that I recommend doing this because it can be dangerous, but I don't have any little ones running around. However, my chickens don't like to walk on snow and I don't like sweeping snow out of the run so I'm happy with a little danger.

Where is the food and water and grit and oyster shell going to go?

Is there a roost or two in the run? Or maybe some logs/stumps to play on? So they can stretch their wings, breathe deeply.

What about a way to secure the person door open? We used a hook and eye. It really helps when cleaning out the coop so that one doesn't need to battle the door. Of course, yours looks like it's the perfect height to get a wheel barrow under. I hope your barrel bolts work well for you. I'm not sure that any of ours work year round. It seems like I'm always having to push, pull, lift, jiggle to get ours to work, while the hook and eyes always work.
idunno.gif

Anyway, your coop looks really good
ya.gif
and should last years and years.

Last edited:
Ha, I actually did have to move it after it was built. I had to lift it with a hydraulic car jack in the exact middle and then wheel the jack over plyboard to get it positioned right. It was either that or get my cousin over with his front-loader to move it for me. Lesson learned? Build it where you want it. lol

Back
Top Bottom