What is wrong with this hen (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FoodKillah, May 1, 2011.

1. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Here are two videos of my hen.
    She has a little trouble breathing, and from time to time she does these noises you see in the videos, especially if she is eating, but not only then. The feather loss has nothing to do with it.

Anybody knows what it is?

Hens info:
    I bought her last July, grown, she never had this problem until few weeks ago. She makes weird sounds when breathing in and when breathing out and this sometimes causes the hen to look like she chokes, she does this choke thing when she eats in almost every bite. She does eat, she drinks without any problems. She gets pecked alot lately because of her choking problems.

Please help me find a clue what this could be, i know there are people in here that could know [​IMG]

I repost this here in a new clean thread because i am really trying to find an answer

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I am not sure, but I am guessing gape worm......

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are several possibilities: A respiratory problem. An obstruction in her trachea/throat. Gapeworm.
    If it's an obstruction, use a flashlight to look as far as you can down her throat. Then give her olive oil and gently massage her throat to help pass it on down.
    You will need another person to hold her....same with the next procedure...Gapeworm. Get a Q-tip and and stick it one inch down her throat and gently swab. Remove the Q-tip and if you see a red in color "Y" shaped worm on it, that will be gapeworm. You'll need a wormer to kill gapeworm; Ivermectin pour on, Safeguard, Valbazen. I see that you are in the MED...Flubenvet will kill gapeworm as well.
    If it's a respiratory problem ONLY, it could be viral or bacterial. An antibiotic could be used for a bacterial disease, but would be useless against a viral disease. Even if successfully treated the bird would be a carrier for life and you would need to maintain a closed flock.
    That said...gapeworm can cause these same symptoms...tough to swallow feed, the gasping for air, etc...so can a throat obstruction.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    [​IMG]

Photo of gapeworm

5. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

6. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    OMG. thanks for your inputs, i am reading up on gapeworm and thats propably what it is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by