What is wrong?

Have the vet try SMZ TMP 48mg/ml suspension instead of the antibiotic they were using.

I am not a vet, but the xray is really not that clear. I don't see anything obviously metalic in it, as the behavior sounded a bit like metal poisoning at first. Tell the vet to look for a dilated proventriculus/esophagus in the xray, as this could be an indication of metal poisoning.

I would do a blood test for lead and other heavy metal poisoning.

The air sacs look reduced in size as there is not much black space.
Possible fluid in them? Curious on how the fluids were syringed to her and is it possible some may have aspirated into the lungs?

It could be any number of things, but heavy metal poisoning, Aspergillosis or ascites are possibilities as well as a congenital heart issue. MG could be possible, but generally doesn't present with rapid symptoms like that. You can have the vet take a swab of her mouth/nose/eyes for the mycoplasma. Birds with this usually recover just fine. The sudden onset of symptoms is the troubling part. What is the temp where you are right now? How is the ventilation in the coop at night etc?

Given the symptoms, I would check the heavy metal poisoning first, including lead. Get this done asap, as the test can take days. She'll need special treatment if it is heavy metal poisoning. Also try the other antibiotic.

I hope she recovers for you! Sending best wishes.
Fluids are given with a dropper to the beak crease, she is a fighter and I was not comfortable trying to actually syringe her. She seems to have some difficulties swallowing when she does eat. She has not vomited and only had the one episode of stumbling. She moves around but is very slow and stops frequently to lay down. The Temps here have been in the low to mid 90s with humidity between 30 and 60 %. My coop has venting all four sides. I'll post pictures. She tries to run from us when we try to catch her and fights every time we try to medicate or feed her. It's almost like she doesn't want to live. We lost her sister a month ago to coccidiosis and now this. I'm so frustrated and sad..

Attachments

• 20210806_074758.jpg
    20210806_074758.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210806_074739.jpg
    20210806_074739.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210806_074732.jpg
    20210806_074732.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210805_104448.jpg
    20210805_104448.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 7
How is she doing today?
About the same. No noticeable improvement. She seems like she wants to eat, pecks at her food then just stands there with her eyes closed. I finally tubed her about 15ml of her feed all ground up with poultry cell, hydro hen, and water. I figure I will have to do it again this evening. I have no clue what is wrong with her, but I do know she won't get better if she doesn't eat... my vet is out of town until Monday so I am just going to do what I can and hope someone has some insight.

About the same. No noticeable improvement. She seems like she wants to eat, pecks at her food then just stands there with her eyes closed. I finally tubed her about 15ml of her feed all ground up with poultry cell, hydro hen, and water. I figure I will have to do it again this evening. I have no clue what is wrong with her, but I do know she won't get better if she doesn't eat... my vet is out of town until Monday so I am just going to do what I can and hope someone has some insight.
So sorry to hear this. I am hoping she improves and you can get some answers. Keep us updated, she's in my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom