1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tomato lady, Nov 24, 2012.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I have a golden sex-link chicken about 2 years old that has a soft and spongy feeling crop. It is large, as if she has eaten well, but doesn't feel firm at all. She eats and drinks, but when I picked her up she vomited -- lots. What do you think the problem is? I have never had this happen before.

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Does she have access to grit? She needs plenty to grind the food up.

3. tomato lady

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    She has access to a large yard with lots of dirt and small stones. Should that be enough? None of my other chickens have ever had a problem like this.

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    If she free ranges like that, you'd think she should have enough, but it may not be the case...the size and amount may not be quite right. I'd try making some grit available for her and perhaps restricting her diet to just regular feed for a couple days. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other suggestions for you as well.

5. tomato lady

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks, Mickey. I'll try that.

6. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    maybe sour crop? check it out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by