What is your 'chicken to nesting box ratio'?

I have a communal box that is 4 feet long, more than big enough for 3 or even 4 of my 10 hens to lay at the same time. But they all want to lay at one far end or the other, not in the middle. They sit on top of each other to do so. It seems to working so far, but I may add a divider at some point.

Eight girls here, four almost to POL, and we have three boxes. Two in the original coop and one in the new coop. The gals who lay almost always use the same box, many is the day I have collected three eggs at once and all still warm.

I have 7 hens, 4 boxes. 5 hens use one box, 2 hens use another. Two boxes have never had eggs in them. I have two that lay at the same time in the same box every day! I guess they are best buds.

I have 8 layer's and 4 boxes, they use 3 of the boxes. None of mine will share a nest but they do yell at the others to hurry up so they can lay their eggs!
rant.gif

8 birds, 4 boxes but not all of mine are laying yet. The two that are like the two center boxes equally well and it's a coin flip which they'll use.

Back
Top Bottom