What is your chickens’ favorite scrap treat?

My chickens' favorite leftovers so far are pumpkin bits and scraps from cooked salmon - they love the fish skin if I cut it up into little pieces for them. Both of those bring out the growling and other weird demonic sounds. Some of them really go for mushy banana. They'll all eat lettuce scraps too, but in sort of "oh well I guess I'll eat this since you didn't bring me something better" kind of way.

BOSS, pomegranate, apples and berries I freeze in water in the summer in a bowl then plop the ice block out for them to cool off. I'll have to try watermelon. I used to feed my chickens any old scraps but now I'm paranoid they will get crop issues so they mainly get treats as opposed to scraps. They're spoiled but so is my dog who gets a couple egg yolks a week

I know many of us give our chickens food scraps as a treat or part of their regular feed. (Not meal worms or scratch, actual scraps from the human kitchen!) It’s been interesting to me to see what my girls go right for as soon as they see it, and what gets left til later!

My girls LOVE:
Grapes
Winter Squash
Watermelon
Cucumber
Bell pepper cores
Cooked rice
Yogurt

They pick at all greens and cherry tomatoes next. There hasn’t been any produce they haven’t eaten but they all go for the “good stuff” first! 😂 They do not love raw turnips. I will try cooking them next time lol.
They LOVE smoothies and pretty much anything. I give them leftovers from everything, especiwlly On holidays I give them foods they can have. Thanksgiving is their favorite time of year🤣🤦‍♀️

Well table scraps are scarce most of the time here, yesterday they got broccoli and cauliflower trimmings. Today I gave them a handful of BOSS, a few scratch grains and several of these. Extruded potato starch puffs, I tried them myself and they were a bit bland. I thought I might be able to eat them if I fried them up with a pinch of salt. Then they would be a bit like Cheetos. But the texture is interesting and then it hit me. This is like eating styrofoam only better! Chickens love eating foam! So I fed them several as part of their mid day snack. They did not go after them first thing but after they ate the scratch and sunflower seeds they must have eaten them because they were not there when I came back. The starch puffs don’t weigh much but obviously you should not feed chickens a lot of extra starch that dilutes their protein intake.

Attachments

• 08D146F4-8E32-4D29-80EC-9E7E345B045E.jpeg
    08D146F4-8E32-4D29-80EC-9E7E345B045E.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
My chickens' favorite leftovers so far are pumpkin bits and scraps from cooked salmon - they love the fish skin if I cut it up into little pieces for them. Both of those bring out the growling and other weird demonic sounds. Some of them really go for mushy banana. They'll all eat lettuce scraps too, but in sort of "oh well I guess I'll eat this since you didn't bring me something better" kind of way.
Mine too! it’s hilarious, they ignore greens if there’s other things but eat them if there’s nothing better🤣. And they do the crazy scgreeeeeeeaagagagaaa noise for watermelon. 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom