What is your chickens’ favorite scrap treat?

I know many of us give our chickens food scraps as a treat or part of their regular feed. (Not meal worms or scratch, actual scraps from the human kitchen!) It’s been interesting to me to see what my girls go right for as soon as they see it, and what gets left til later!

My girls LOVE:
Grapes
Winter Squash
Watermelon
Cucumber
Bell pepper cores
Cooked rice
Yogurt

They pick at all greens and cherry tomatoes next. There hasn’t been any produce they haven’t eaten but they all go for the “good stuff” first! 😂 They do not love raw turnips. I will try cooking them next time lol.
My flock loves all of these. I the summer I give them watermellon, The go crazy for it.

I know many of us give our chickens food scraps as a treat or part of their regular feed. (Not meal worms or scratch, actual scraps from the human kitchen!) It’s been interesting to me to see what my girls go right for as soon as they see it, and what gets left til later!

My girls LOVE:
Grapes
Winter Squash
Watermelon
Cucumber
Bell pepper cores
Cooked rice
Yogurt

They pick at all greens and cherry tomatoes next. There hasn’t been any produce they haven’t eaten but they all go for the “good stuff” first! 😂 They do not love raw turnips. I will try cooking them next time lol.
My Golden Girls go crazy for bananas. When they get too ripe for us, it goes to the girls. They also get worms, lettuce, carrots, apple peels and cucumbers.

We haven’t tried a lot. Our 4 EEs are our first chickens. They are 1. What they do go crazy for is broccoli! One time when I was bent over to put it down I ended up with a diva on my back.
BC6DAA72-B73A-49CA-9E49-8B81A3556BB5.jpeg
8D8837B3-124C-4073-999B-9F5462F06DD1.jpeg

There is still snow on the ground here in VT. Besides leftovers, cabbage is my go to vegetable for hens. I usually just cut it in half so that all can enjoy. Once in awhile I just give them the whole head. I have 25 hens that get their cabbage 3-4 times a week. They have also gone through all the winter squash I had stored. But by far they love fermented grain. I add Durvet Layer Boost to the fermenting grains for extra Vit D

There is still snow on the ground here in VT. Besides leftovers, cabbage is my go to vegetable for hens. I usually just cut it in half so that all can enjoy. Once in awhile I just give them the whole head. I have 25 hens that get their cabbage 3-4 times a week. They have also gone through all the winter squash I had stored. But by far they love fermented grain. I add Durvet Layer Boost to the fermenting grains for extra Vit D

My chickens LOVE watermelon, it is by far there favorite, they also love the corn cob scraps (like after you finish corn on the cob). They also love grapes and squash. They love apples and the occasional bread. They enjoy pepper cores but they aren’t at the top of the list. But they don’t seem care for any sort of lettuce or spinach though, they also don’t like carrots or celery.

Back
Top Bottom