What is your favorite breed and why??

jessicaG

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
When we start our little flock this spring we are planning on getting 6 or 7 chickens, and possibly growing to 10 from there. What kind do you keep, and why? I would like something for egg production (not butchering) and I would ideally like them to be able to be held by my kids without my kids being pecked to death my an aggressive chicken. I live in missouri, and it does get below freezing here sometimes, so a breed that is not super sensitive to cold would be great, if there is a thing. I do not plan on heating my coop (after reading some threads on here about it!) just laying some straw or wood chips down. My coop is a shed that has been converted. Thanks in advance!!!!

I have several breeds and my favorite of them all is my Buff Orpingtons. They are so friendly and love being around us. My daughter is six and she can hold all of Buffs without issue. Actually she has one that will follow her around like a puppy. Love them! I live in Arkansas and my chickens have done well in the heat and the cold. I just make sure they always have fresh water in the heat of the summer and lately have to make sure it does not freeze which is not something I am use to worrying aobut in Arkansas but it has been cold. Good luck!

You're going to get a million different answers on this one. For example, MorgansManor loves the Buff Orpingtons, but they are one of my least favorite hens. They look pretty, but they aren't any nicer than any others, and they are aggressive to the rest of the flock, and they don't lay very well at all.

We always come back to Red Sex Links, particularly the ones from Meyer Hatchery here in Ohio. They are incredibly sweet, calm birds, and quite pretty. We love how each one is subtly different from the others so you can tell them apart. They're great all winter, and they lay tons of huge brown eggs.

Cochins. They are not the most prolific layers but they sure are pretty and they're calm and sweet birds. I love my EEs for egg production and I have a bunch of them, but I always keep 5-10 Cochins just for looking at and petting.

For Standards

Black Australorps. They are sweet, gentle, lay really nice big brown eggs all year round, and are also good for meat.

For Bantams

Dutch Bantams. They are very friendly, sweet, and get very attached to their owners.

With the knowledge in mind that chickens from different hatcheries can vary in egg-laying,temperment,physical traits and everything else, it's "to each his own"!

WE have had Buff Orpingtons and were not pleased with their egg-laying or their lifespan(all but one of our original BOs died from egg-laying issues) but they were very good pets. The Australorps were great layers and maybe our biggest pets(pests maybe,always under foot!) and laid great until they molted,then the ones that did start laying again laid soft or shelless eggs. Speckled Sussex were good birds but only laid 2-3 eggs a week and were always going broody.

The Welsummers we had(two different groups from different hatcheries) were just downright unfriendly to us and the other chickens. They did lay the prettiest eggs I've ever seen....dark brick red/brown with chocolate speckles on them.

We finally settled down with Buff Brahmas. Nice and docile chickens,easy to work with and very good winter layers. They give us 4-5 big eggs a week each and we have yet to loose one to health problems(over two years with them) and they handle cold weather very good and withstood the 100*F plus days this past summer far better than I expected! Another bonus for us is the Brahmas seem to maintain their productive time over several years,unlike the more "production" geared chickens that lay extremely well a year or two then just taper off to nothing.

I love my D'Uccles! They are the most curious little things and just always have to know what I am doing and "help". They have been some of the most friendly chickens I have ever owned....and I have owned a bunch of breeds. Their feathery feet make it comical to watch them gallop around the yard. Most of mine like to be held and scratched too.

On a side note, I have 3 lavender Orpingtons and they are really friendly as well.

I've had some nice, great laying Orpingtons. I really liked them alot. Chentechlers are another of my favorite breeds, they're a Canadian breed and are very cold hardy. Cochins are sweeties, but don't lay well (or I should say they lay alright, when they're not broody). Right now I'm keeping Silkies (my all time favorite breed of chicken, hands down) and OEGB. My Silkies do require a little extra care. Mine have very large crests and can't see well, so I just have to provide a little extra predator protection. My OEGB is COMICAL! She's so tiny she fits in the palm of my hand, and she'll follow my daughter (6) and sass her until she picks her up and sticks her inside her jacket! Good luck choosing, they're are lots of great breeds!

We have Cochins, Brahmas, and Lakenvelders. The Cochins and the Brahmas are both VERY sweet birds. Love attention from the whole family. They are young (3 months) and aren't yet laying, so that is yet to be seen. The Lakenvelders are so much fun to watch. The hens eat well from our hands and let us pet them, but would rather not be picked up. They are very active, and always exploring the farm. We live in Arkansas and this winter has been colder than normal, they are all doing fine, though we are using heat lamps at night. We also have Wyandottes...the hens are fine (the roosters are aggressive and will be the first culled out), but not as friendly as the others.

I have 3 RIR hens 1 RIR rooster, 2 Black Austrolops hens, 2 EE hens, and 1 Red Sex link hen. So far the RIR hens are the tamest one of the Austrolps is PITA. But overall they are all okay the daughter like to chase them around and try to feed them. None of them have been any bit agressive. We currently get 5-6 eggs per day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom