what is your favorite breed of dairy goats?

Destiny Nicole

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
Hi there!
I was just wondering what your guys' favorite breed of a dairy goat would be? Because someday I am going to get some milking goats and I want to pick a good breed!

I personally prefer the NDs. They produce great tasting milk in an amount that is reasonable for my use. I also like how they are a smaller goat. They are compact and adorable!
If you want very rich milk Nubian.

If you want lot of milk Saanan

Most other dairy goat breeds fall somewhat between.

The milk Nigerian Dwarves produce is almost ridiculously rich. Nubian milk has a butterfat content around 5% in their milk, while Nigerian milk can have up to 10% butterfat (ranges from 6-10%)!

And Saanen's aren't the only huge producers out there. Any full sized dairy breed whose lines have been bred for milk production can produce copious amounts of milk. A saanen from a line with less emphasis on milking won't produce stellar amounts of milk.

What kind of climate do you live in? Would you want to raise them on pasture and forage, or on grain and hay? How much milk would you want? Do you prefer creamier milk to drink, less fat, or milk just for cheese making? How important is temperament and/or noise levels to you? Do you want to milk once or twice a day? Do you want to stagger breeding to stay in milk all year round/have does with tended lactations? Do you want a personal/family use goat only, or goats for show and/or profit?

These are some of the first questions I asked myself when choosing the breed I'd like to get in the future. :) The best breed or goat will vary by region and personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom