What is your favorite feed?

Just curious..... What is it that is awful about Purina???
I've seen numerous people comment regarding the fact the protein in Purina is soy based and not animal product based.

I'm new to this, and that is why I'm asking. I want to give my girls the best product possible.

8 week old chicks shouldnt be on layer feed yet. Put them back on a starter feed and you can switch to layer once all of your pullets are laying. If you have any roosters i would just keep feeding starter but offer oyster shells for the laying hens.
Maybe I described it incorrectly. It is the Purina medicated starter crumbles

I switched my girls to non GMO layer feed from a locally owned feed store a few months ago. They mix it them selves and my girls seem to love it. I usually toss a hand full of organic oats in the coop or run for them to eat. The feed I get cost about the same as the major brands you can get at TSC. If you have a local farmers exchange store you can check with them.

Purina has had some significant dog food recalls in the past.

I quit using Purina chicken feed last summer when they had an outbreak of grain mites and I found a better feed that I've stuck with since.

The Purina dog food recall had nothing to do with Purina livestock/ chicken feed since they are two completely different companies,

Purina Pet Food company is owned by Nestle

Purina Mills is owned by Land-O-Lake

i feed my hens layer feed mixed with feather fixer, grit, scratch,oyster shell and every now and then there is some poultry treats mixed in> i also give them scraps and they free range.<

We feed our girls all kinds of good vegetable scraps.

My questions was what brand of feed do you all use?

I've seen that lay crumbles are the best, but I wonder what brand to use.

What do you recommend for feed. I've been using Purina lay cumb medicated for my chicks b/c they're only 8 weeks old. I've seen several people post how awful Purina is.

I went to my local tractor supply and did not see much else. Some of the brands I remember were "Producers" "DuMor" "Nutrena". Of these three, is there a preference over Purina? Or should I consult my local Coop store?

I like to support my local co op whenever possible. They are typically very fresh milled weekly and often on site. You are supporting local agriculture and you aren't paying for transportation and advertising. Their formulations should address any local deficiencies or excesses. Check out their product line and see how it measures up.

Back
Top Bottom