What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

WOW! sorry she got eaten, by a bear no less, again wow. I did the same thing. All of ours are different breeds, they were all picked because their disposition was calm to friendly. All were handled and hand fed and I too noticed a difference between their behaviors in friendliest. Oddly enough the EE who is current champ in that arena wasn't handled as much- she was in a later group.
ours only run at me when they think there is a snack in hand otherwise we get the tail feathers. I bet that is an awesome welcome home with all those happy clucking critters.
Yeah, you make a coop/run to be fox, skunk, raccoon proof but you can't really make it bear proof. It was a real head scratcher trying to figure out how she (the bear) actually got the chickens. I would come home to torn chicken wire and one chicken missing. That is it. No feathers, no claw marks, no nothing. She came back a couple of times and I finally realized how she was doing it (since the entrance into the coop is no larger than a chicken and she absolutely couldn't reach in and grab the chickens off of the roost). She was tearing through the chicken wire and sending her cub through the opening in the coop to retrieve a chicken. After I came up with this hypothesis, my husband and I saw her and her cub feasting out of our garbage can. Well, $200 dollars later we have one nifty electric fence surrounding the coop and she hasn't come back since!

I do love how friendly the chickens can be. There is only one problem with it. The friendliest absolutely will not allow my rooster near them. They are still the boss of him and they make sure to let him know! My "friendly ladies" all see me as their rooster and will not even entertain the thought of "entertaining" him. Eh, things could be worse!

My friendliest is Sally, a Red Star. Sally always comes up and wants to be held. Her sister, Harriet, just pecks my legs until I pick her up. I don't like that, but am not sure how to stop her from pecking.

My friendliest is Sally, a Red Star. Sally always comes up and wants to be held. Her sister, Harriet, just pecks my legs until I pick her up. I don't like that, but am not sure how to stop her from pecking.
Pepper has gotten in the habit of pecking. So we have pecking battles, every time she pecks me I peck back via thump or using the tip of my finger like a beak and pecking her or using the palm of my hand. Our battles go on and on and on till I have her backing up or hurrying away leaving me the head chicken. The real leader of the flock is a gentle chicken who never pecked at me even as a chick just goes back to those personalities. Guess that means Pepper and I are doomed to battle for all eternity. FYI when one of the others was a chick she would try to peck me and the pecking methods I mentioned worked on her, guess cause she was so young, she hasn't pecked at me ever again.

Yeah, you make a coop/run to be fox, skunk, raccoon proof but you can't really make it bear proof. It was a real head scratcher trying to figure out how she (the bear) actually got the chickens. I would come home to torn chicken wire and one chicken missing. That is it. No feathers, no claw marks, no nothing. She came back a couple of times and I finally realized how she was doing it (since the entrance into the coop is no larger than a chicken and she absolutely couldn't reach in and grab the chickens off of the roost). She was tearing through the chicken wire and sending her cub through the opening in the coop to retrieve a chicken. After I came up with this hypothesis, my husband and I saw her and her cub feasting out of our garbage can. Well, $200 dollars later we have one nifty electric fence surrounding the coop and she hasn't come back since!

I do love how friendly the chickens can be. There is only one problem with it. The friendliest absolutely will not allow my rooster near them. They are still the boss of him and they make sure to let him know! My "friendly ladies" all see me as their rooster and will not even entertain the thought of "entertaining" him. Eh, things could be worse!
Glad the bear problem got solved. There are bears in our area but we haven't had any run-ins with them.

My Plymouth Rocks are so friendly! From what I read on here I thought my BO's would be more friendly, but they proved me wrong! My Plymouth Rocks come right up to me and wait until I rub their bellies. They were 2 weeks older than my BO's and they started laying 4 weeks ago, my BO's haven't started laying yet. I would recommend Plymouth Rocks to anyone, they like to be held too. I'm not quick enough to catch the BO's.
I have a Buff Orpington that is our least friendly chicken...there is only one other chicken that is as unfriendly, but she isn't mean, just scared...the BO is scared and will attack if pursued...

We are getting new babies in about 2 months. Can't wait to find out who will be the new friendliest one out of that group. I am sure it will change constantly as their personalities develop.
New duckies come in a month...love those little quackers.

mine is Jingles, one of our 6 Silver-laced Wyandottes, used to have a brown leghorn that was very friendly. I heard the W were very frinedly thats why we picked them, but not all of them are? who knows...

My friendliest are RIRs and EEs. Two of each, and all way friendlier than the others. *Looks over shoulder and sees an RIR pecking at the window*-literally, that just happened.

Back
Top Bottom