What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

My blue ameraucana, Granny Weatherwax, is the sweetest chicken in my flock. Very gentle and calm, loves to be pet, follows me everywhere. And lays me the prettiest blue eggs!

My least friendly and most standoffish is my barnevelder.  She is pretty but not a fan of people or being handled!

Wow your Blue Ameraucana and your Barnie are beautiful! We have a hatchery Barnie/mutt that has same patterning and coloring but a wonky comb. Anyway she is a bit stand of fish and man she has been broody. Your girls are just pretty, don't know what else to say, lol.

Last edited:
Our friendliest girl is one of our Easter Eggers, Little One. Here is her story.....

Day two after arrival, she was very ill and weak. She had a hard time standing and even sitting upright, it was like she was drunk. She was wobbling and stumbling around, we didn't think she would make it. I set her up in a bucket by herself under the heat lamp and I hand waterered her and gave her two crickets. She then took a nap after her little meal.

Here she is napping..

Thirty minutes after napping, she jumped up and she wanted out of the bucket! Glad to report she made it and today is the friendliest out of everyone. She follows me around chatting with me and she pulls on my arms with her beak to pick her up for snuggles. She is mischievous and a clown.

Sorry for asthe pic overload but she has a special place with me.

Last edited:
Our friendliest girl is one of our Easter Eggers, Little One. Here is her story.....

Day two after arrival, she was very ill and weak. She had a hard time standing and even sitting upright, it was like she was drunk. She was wobbling and stumbling around, we didn't think she would make it. I set her up in a bucket by herself under the heat lamp and I hand waterered her and gave her two crickets. She then took a nap after her little meal.

Here she is napping..

Thirty minutes after napping, she jumped up and she wanted out of the bucket! Glad to report she made it and today is the friendliest out of everyone. She follows me around chatting with me and she pulls on my arms with her beak to pick her up for snuggles. She is mischievous and a clown.

Sorry for asthe pic overload but she has a special place with me.

So glad she pulled through! And look at that beard, so full and thick!! She looks very happy with herself in the bottom pic. Maybe a bit upset that she is still in the pen and not with you as well. Our first EE was also very near and dear to my heart. Brittany danced, truly. When she was happy she would do a dance, similar to that of a rooster when he is wooing a girl. Now our current EE could care a less about having anything to do with me. She only wants to see me for 2 reasons; food/water and clean straw.

Don't forget,if your wanting production reds,easily just take a rir and nhr,and breed them....

So glad she pulled through! And look at that beard, so full and thick!! She looks very happy with herself in the bottom pic. Maybe a bit upset that she is still in the pen and not with you as well.  Our first EE was also very near and dear to my heart. Brittany danced, truly. When she was happy she would do a dance, similar to that of a rooster when he is wooing a girl. Now our current EE could care a less about having anything to do with me. She only wants to see me for 2 reasons; food/water and clean straw. 

Thanks, she is a sweetie, although not sure if she has molted her beard away in that one picture or if we have a feather picker! We have five EE, three are friendly, two not so much. The ones that are friendly love to chat.

Don't forget,if your wanting production reds,easily just take a rir and nhr,and breed them....
Very true. We lost one of our little red girls this week. So sad to see her go. Some of the other girls lay just as faithfully as our reds do though but I am done with reds for a while. All of our reds (no matter the breed) seem to have attitude. It is strange, all the productions and even the buckeye all have that big don't touch me-keep ten miles away from me attitude. Plus they have tended to be bullies. Well all except our first Cait, she was the picture of sweetness and love.

Back
Top Bottom