What is your latest prepping project?

Pics
Sounds like you are doing a lot already @itsasmallfarm

Ever thought of raising cuy/guinea pigs as small meat animals? I'm hoping to start some next year or two myself.

I've eaten raccoon, opossum, and nutria.

Raccoon was skinned and soaked in buttermilk with hot sauce, dredged in cornmeal, then fried. Pretty tasty.

Opossum was stewed with tomato, okra, bell peppers, onions, etc. Very nice! Meat was clean and sweet.

Nutria is a water rat, so probably comparable to muskrat? Had it fried, stewed, and fire grilled. All preparations were skinless. Wasn't bad at all.

Cuy cooked any way you'd cook rabbit, and honestly I like it better than rabbit. Can either skin or singe off the hair. I like the skin on it when grilled, and the crispy skin is excellent!

Back again. got 3 trout for the frying pan. Not enough to smoke but still should be good eating 2 splake and 1 rainbow. (Have two goldeye for the smoker this winter.) I have decieded this year am going to try and haverest a deer for the freezer going for white tail deer as that is the only big game i can hunt this year. (did not get drawn for anything. But still can buy a white tail tag this year.) also has anyone ever eaten bear before as its the other big game animal that i can hunt by juat buying a tag instead of being drawn.

I have not tried bear, but apparently people do eat it in Alaska regularly.
My prepping project is a chicken coop. To provide eggs, and if needed i can raise some to eat. I have a young trio of chickens and a flock of guineas. Plus 24 young chicks. 20170822_165311.jpg I have been working on this coop for over a month, mostly by myself. I can hardly wait to finish it and move the birds in. They need the space.

My CX outcross for a sustainable, self breeding meat bird is taking off! My oldest CX hen has been laying for a few weeks now and the first few eggs have little, dancing embryos in them! Not sure who the father of these first ones are but I now have her seperated with a crele orpington cockerel. Hopefully he does his job. I have 6 more CX pullets growing out that will hopefully make it to POL and several other breeds that is like to incorporate in to the project (including a shamo to as some height). These babies will all be crossed together and, depending on how they turn out, possibly back to CX. This way, in the future, we can breed our own meat birds and feed ourselves.

Did some math and found out my family (6 of us including a set of grandparents) eat around 1500 lbs of meat per year between us is my guess. Now i hate factory farming. And wish not to suppport it. So i have been looking at other options to get meat. Only 3 out of 6 of us hunt and only 4 enjoy wild meat. So i can raise some of it. And am going to hunt the other part of it. So also am going to be trying to find new food sources (incase the end of the world happens.) Mainly eating wild game and see which is the best.

Back
Top Bottom