What keeps hawks away?

Very few types of hawk will take full size chickens. It takes a very big hawk to even try it.

However, if you have hawks that do eat chickens, your only truly safe way to keep poultry is under cover. Perhaps allow them out while you can stand right over the top of them to protect them.

This...

I seen a group of hawks around 5-7 of them in the air gliding around my chickens and making load sounds, don't think they were red tail hawks, but the smaller cooper hawks.. Cooper hawks wont bother adult chickens but a red tail hawk might..

I covered my whole 30'x20' chicken lot with garden Deer netting. I had to order it online because it was seasonal but on amazon for a piece that was 14'x75' it was only $22. I was surprised at the strength because it doesn't look like much but It works. It keeps my birds in and hawks out. Tractor supply has some in rolls that are 7'x110' for $19.99 right now. I just purchased some to have on hand. I ran a steal cable with 30' length and draped it over it. I used cable zip ties to over lap the pieces.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=lawngarden&field-keywords=deer+netting

Thanks all for the help
smile.png
All I have here is the red tail hawks and they are big and brave (or stupid either one lol) I have netting all on the the top of my run so they don't get in there. Except for the time we had a big wind storm and one got in through a tear in the netting but was too dump to get back out. But we fixed that and haven't had that problem again. We do have crows but they only come out in the evening to roost for the night and by then my chickens are safe in there run so they don't help a whole lot
hmm.png
When I do let them free range its only occasional and only for like an hour. They love it so much I'd just like for them to do it more often without having to constantly worry. I feel if I leave at all for even a few minutes they'll get attacked
sad.png
Heres a silly question, Do roosters do anything for helping to keep them away? Does a rooster crowing keep them away or does it just attract them? or am I better off with a turkey or goose? I do have dogs but they stay up by the house and by the time they could get down to the chickens to do anything it'd probably be too late. Thanks again for the help!

My way of keeping that bug hawk that killed over 7 of my pullets last summer and fall. I don't have to do anything. A young Bald Eagle about 3 1/2 years old. He is just getting his white head and tail feathers. He drove off the local hawk and doesn't even try to go after my chickens. :) He's cool to watch. My chickens are happy to free - range. :)

Sadly there are no eagles near my place anymore, and there are no bald eagles here although that would be cool! There were a a couple of brown eagles around my house but I haven't seen them in awhile, they're pretty rare here. The hawks around here pretty much rule the sky
hmm.png

Do you have a rooster? I free range my chickens. I also have broody mama's with chicks out and about as well. I did buy a few chickens that don't have a hen mama so they are in a nursery pen. Today a hawk was trying to get to the babies in the play pen and my rooster jumped up to the hawk and they started to fight but the hawk decided that he didn't want any part of Lance so he flew off.
ep.gif

This is what keeps the hawks (and any other small bird, rodent, dog, cat.....)) away from my chickens
photobucket-3307-1331296852363.jpg

The crows used to help out with our hawk problem, but he's driven them all away as well. He's a great chicken bodyguard!

Very few types of hawk will take full size chickens. It takes a very big hawk to even try it.

Sorry, but this is just not true. At least not in N.E Pennsylvania. I came home to find a hawk less than half the size of my hen eating her. It couldn't carry her away, but had no problem killing her and making a sit down meal out of her.

I do have a two new roosters and they seem to be a little braver when danger comes around than my last two roosters. My last two roosters were hiding during the last hawk attack and the only thing that alerted me were the hens freaking out
hmm.png
my new roo is really loud when he thinks danger is about so that helps. I have been thinking about getting another turkey, hoping that would do the trick and from what I've read it should help. I wanted a goose but no one in my family wants me to get one
sad.png
Thank you all for the advice, I'm so determined to keep hawks away I may try everything at once lol

Back
Top Bottom