What killed all my Chukar????

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by DottieMarie, Jul 23, 2010.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I found 15 dead Chukar in my pen; 2 had been eaten (one, the head only) but everything else was just dead. No obvious marks on them, no blood on them. The pen is welded wire bottom half and the top is netting. There is a hole in the top of the netting (~12 feet in the air) but I don't see any other holes anywhere.
    We've had our share of coons break in but they only kill a couple at a time, this all happened overnight.
    Any ideas, and if so, suggestions for trapping???

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I'm no expert on who might've done it, but I can tell you that a raccoon got one of our baby Ameraucana chickens on July 4th weekend and since then, we have live trapped the following: five giant raccoons, an opossum and an skunk. We used jelly on bread and marshmallows for the bait. There has only been an empty cage twice since we set it (and once b/c a chipmunk ate the marshmallows!). We used a 42 inch cage that we borrowed, but TSC sells live traps & HaveAHeart (sp?) traps, they just weren't big enough for our marauders.

I'm very sorry you had to witness that mess and for the loss of your birds. [​IMG]

3. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your birds, however when you have animals things like this happen.

It sounds like a fox or something scaled the fence and squeezed through the hole, more than likley the other chuckars died of panic attacks. At least the thirteen others didn't feel any pain.

4. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    There were 2 live ones left and they were in such a shock state I had to dispatch one and the other one just died. Very sad! I want this predator gone but I don't know what it is.
    A friend suggested a weasel so I set a weasle box last night. Not sure what I was doing but I saw a picture on the internet so I figured I'd give it a try. Nothing yet.
    Thanks for the kind words.

5. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Quote:Im adding this to my sig!!!
    Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by