what killed my chick

I'm sorry about your chick.
I'm going to suggest one important thing in helping you with your mystery.
Please go to your Profile settings and put in your general location if you don't want to say like South Miami or Up State New York.
This is always a HUGE help right from the start.
Pictures of possible entry and of the chick is also helpful.
Or even chick parts if that's whats left.
i burried her sorry. I didn't know if it would be appropriate or not. Im from Pennsylvania. We haven't had much problems with raccons or possums because i set the catch and release traps. I have dog kennel fencing around my chicken coop and that is also covered with chicken wire. Ive covered every vulnerability i could see with multiple layers of chicken wire. Even the front gate where i walk in to the run has it where the gate swings back and forth so the chicks couldnt escape when they were small. None of the wire i put up looks like it was touched. However There is a gap underneath the floor of the coop(inside the run) and thats where the chick was being drug. Just looked like she was gutted and being drug under the coop and whatever had her gave up trying to drag her away. Looked like she still had her heart but nothing else inside. I have since put wire over that gap and put rat poisoning in there

i burried her sorry. I didn't know if it would be appropriate or not. Im from Pennsylvania. We haven't had much problems with raccons or possums because i set the catch and release traps. I have dog kennel fencing around my chicken coop and that is also covered with chicken wire. Ive covered every vulnerability i could see with multiple layers of chicken wire. Even the front gate where i walk in to the run has it where the gate swings back and forth so the chicks couldnt escape when they were small. None of the wire i put up looks like it was touched. However There is a gap underneath the floor of the coop(inside the run) and thats where the chick was being drug. Just looked like she was gutted and being drug under the coop and whatever had her gave up trying to drag her away. Looked like she still had her heart but nothing else inside. I have since put wire over that gap and put rat poisoning in there
Put 12x12 cement pavers along the entire coup around the outside paremeter, this will stop any animals (predators) from digging underneath, its fool proof, ive done this and never had a problem in several years.

Lost our first chicken last week, we were also heart broken. Pulled out the havaheart and so far caught 3 in the last 5 days. To show how strong they are this one managed to wreck my trap trying to escape. His/her big butt was stuck for a few hours while I tried to think of options.
PXL_20201005_151833292.jpg

Put 12x12 cement pavers along the entire coup around the outside paremeter, this will stop any animals (predators) from digging underneath, its fool proof, ive done this and never had a problem in several years.
I used something similar but they were the concrete bottoms from old stone crab traps. I put a couple under each gate because of a fox.

Lost our first chicken last week, we were also heart broken. Pulled out the havaheart and so far caught 3 in the last 5 days. To show how strong they are this one managed to wreck my trap trying to escape. His/her big butt was stuck for a few hours while I tried to think of options.
View attachment 2361614
Get some J-clips or hog rings and put a bunch where the panels come together. I put some clips where the coon is sticking out in your picture, so I could easily open the end and put the bait in but also secure it so predators can't get out. I have a picture of about everything else. I should take a picture.
DSCF0010 01.jpg
DSCF0012 22.jpg

View attachment 2361614
how did you get it out? usually if we catch a coon and its trying to do that they are mean. havent encountered many that were mean but id be afraid that one would attack

I just put my five 10 week old babies outside, they have 3 older sisters and free range. We have a completely fenced in suburban yard but it does not keep raccoons or birds out. On day one outside something attacked one of the babies. I’m pretty sure it was not an older chicken. there was a “bite” for lack of a better term, at her neck that was not survivable and we had to put her down. 😭. I do have a picture but it seems too traumatic to post. Any ideas what kind of critter would do this midday and how to prevent it in the future?

I just put my five 10 week old babies outside, they have 3 older sisters and free range. We have a completely fenced in suburban yard but it does not keep raccoons or birds out. On day one outside something attacked one of the babies. I’m pretty sure it was not an older chicken. there was a “bite” for lack of a better term, at her neck that was not survivable and we had to put her down. 😭. I do have a picture but it seems too traumatic to post. Any ideas what kind of critter would do this midday and how to prevent it in the future?
I am sorry about the loss of one of your babies. We do need pictures even though you may feel they are gross. Trust me, we are use to gross but, that is the only way to be able to help you most of the time. Whenever you post a Picture, just put in the title **GRAPHIC PHOTO". This will let everyone know that doesn't want to look. But, most of us DO look.
The other thing I noticed is you do not list your location in the vast world.
Aart was very kind to give a good example on how to list your location.
Here is how to do that. Your location is very helpful because I live in Florida and you might live in a place that has critters that I do not. Sorry to read about your chick.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_8-17-16.png
    upload_2018-9-21_8-17-16.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 2
It was a hawk it came back for another one today.

Back
Top Bottom