What killed my chicken!?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CrazyChick143, Aug 9, 2010.

1. CrazyChick143

CrazyChick143 New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    Yesterday I went out to give the girls some more water and they were all doing fine.... about an hour later I returned to check on them and one of my barred rocks was laying on the ground with its feet stretched out... at first I thought that the chicken died because it had no water because the waterer had been knocked over. Looking closer I realized that something had eaten the chickens neck. All the feathers had been taken off and the neck was the only part that was exposed and eaten. Whatever ate my chicken took the biggest one too! There were a few other ones that would have been much easier to eat or grab. All of my other girls were hiding so obviously traumatized by this situation. I have seen hawks in the area, but no other animals really... Is this how hawks eat their prey? ...So sad....
  2. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I had a hawk take a few of our chickens. They were still young, about 5 or 6 weeks and the hawk just took them away and left no trace. I put a net over their run (we have a chicken wire fenced run) and so far it has worked out wonderfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by