What Killed My Delaware Chick??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kimmi500, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Kimmi500

Kimmi500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hi Everyone,
    I need help to identify what predator killed my 10 Week old Delaware chick. This attack took place between 11AM-3PM. The chick pen is close to the house and our Bichons (which bark at EVERYTHING) and Akita have their pen close to the chick pen as a deterrent. This attack was quiet, as all the windows and screen doors are open. Nothing set the dogs off and I didn't hear anything. When I went outside to do my afternoon rounds, my 14 week Isbar cockerel had the other pullets in the back of the house behind him. All that was left of the chick was a pile of bloody feathers and her intestines. Can any of you tell me what did this in broad daylight? Whatever it was is pretty brazen to do this so close to house and sit in the pen and enjoy it's lunch! Any thoughts would be great! Thanks All!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would guess a hawk. Can you put a top on your pen? Whatever it was, it will return.

3. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Looks like a owl or a hawk. so sorry for your lost. Had to keep mine lock up for a few day a red tail hawk in the area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by