What killed my ducks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sarahrose, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Sarahrose

Sarahrose New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    I lost two rouen ducks last week. I let my ducks free range on our property. I came home from work and 2 of the three were dead. the only wounds I could find were to their backs - very little blood and no gore. If I hadnt looked, I wouldnt have been able to find any injury. Do avian predators strike during daylight and if so, what would go after 2 large ducks?? I dont think it was a fox or coyote b/c we have a dog and a donkey and they keep all the chickens and ducks safe - as long as they stay in the fenced property. [​IMG]

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    It could have been almost anything. Since it was during the daylight, maybe a hawk?

3. beauh

beauh Chillin' With My Peeps

It was properly a gang of crows- they are vicous towards ducks, I know from my own experiences. They keep attacking until the ducks die of fright or pain.

4. beauh

beauh Chillin' With My Peeps

Was the last surviving one a male or the best flier??

5. Sarahrose

Sarahrose New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    the third one is my girl and she is on a clutch of eggs under a low tree right up near the house in a raised flower garden.

6. Sarahrose

Sarahrose New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    CROWS?? that's awful! I wouldnt have suspected a gang of crows.ugh...

7. cadams

cadams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Tom Bean Tx
    Thats why they are called a Murder of Crows. Hawks and Owls aren't the only thing they torment. I have scared them off from my mallards more than once.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you make the decision to free range, and especially if you decide to leave the birds out while you aren't home, you must accept that it involves losses.

If nothing was eaten, it is extremely unlikely that it was hawks. Hawks don't kill for sport; they kill to eat.

Your own dog or donkey could have injured the ducks. Magpies, crow, or dogs. Mink and weasels will kill ducks and they don't eat anything but the blood. Rats will kill poultry. Large feral cats are capable of killing poultry. Neighborhood kids sometimes throw rocks that injure birds.

It could have been almost anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by