What kills a chicken in the daytime and leaves only feathers behind?

I had a flock of 30 and only two survived. Several circular areas of feathers left and 4 birds with heads and necks eaten. This happened in broad day light. Have had chickens in same area for 5 years and only lost the occasional bird. Put out a live trap and caught a skunk. Was the skunk the killer and would it have carried off over two dozen dead birds?

One of our chickens didn't come to the coop with the rest this evening. After a little searching we found a small pile of feathers about twenty feet from the coop. No blood or at least very little, it was getting dark but there didn't seem to be any and def no body parts.
This sounds a bit like what happened here yesterday evening. Went out to feed/water everyone and saw a pile of feathers about 3 feet from the hen house. I assumed the chickens had been bickering. Found a dead RIR in the barn under a wagon. She didn't have any apparent injuries and the feathers by the coop were mostly Auracana with some grey feather mixed in. Could have been from another bird, or could have just been her under feathers. Anyway, walked out toward the back field and found a large pile of my rooster's feathers. I know they are his because he's my only Dominique. Four of my hens were on the other side of the fence in a neighboring yard. They never go there, and seemed pretty confused about how to get back. I had to go over there and lift them over the fence. When everyone roosted I realized that in addition to my roo and the dead hen I was still missing 3 birds. I'm hoping they hid out as it was getting dark, but sure would like to know what could get two birds that quickly. The patches of feathers were quite a long distance apart. Ed's feathers were pretty close to the neighboring fence, so it looks like they all ran that way during the attack, well, except for the one who was clearly attacked by the hen house. I think the dead hen may have been frightened to death. We do have hawks around here, but they seem to prefer small rabbits. In the four years I've had hens, I've never lost any to predators. We also have the occasional fox and some stray cats. There was no blood at all that could be seen on or around the feathers. Really want to know what predator I'm looking for. My husband is probably going to keep those poor girls on lockdown now and they have 17 acres they've been allowed to run on, until yesterday.

I lost 4 hens this spring to a goss hawk! Small puff of feathers left behind and no blood or parts. No tracks either. We saw the hawk a few times around the coop. They will take their pray and stick them up in a tree to eat later!

Regarding hawks not being able to carry a full grown chicken....
I've seen our neighbors have two of their full grown RIR's carried off by swarming hawks on a few different occasions. We lost one that day as well but I never saw it taken. As a matter of fact, I just lost another one today and it appears to be another hawk. We do have panthers, lynx and our share of bobcats, fox and raccoons in the area but I haven't seen any of them anywhere near our farm. Just the hawks and they most certainly can "snatch and grab" a mature chicken.

We've lost many chickens this past year. The are pit up in a secure coop at night, free range during the day behind a 6 food 2x4 inch spaced heavy wire fence, we've had them for over three years now, with problems starting about 4 months ago. This takes place during the day. We find a pile of feathers, and a feather trail leading across the field, and more feathers on the other side of the fence. I've spotted bobcats, but am not sure if thet hut in the daytime. Can a Fox or Coyote jump the fence? one time, we found 4 hens dead in the field with three missing. The showed no sign or bites or anything else and we assume their necks were broken. Lost another one yesterday, pile of feathers in the field, and a trail leading to the fence, and a trail leading up the mountain. I'm down from 18 hens this year to just 6 now. We put out a game camera but never caught anything. other then hiding out there with a rifle, are there any solutions other then trapping? Don't mind losing one or two to feed the wildlife, but this is too much. I live in western NC, back in the mountains and there have been Bobcat, mountain lion, fox, wolves, coyote, bear, and all kinds of wildlife that usually stays up higher on the mountain. Any comments on what may be doing this?

Add Crows to the list of preditors for young chickens. We just lost 7 young barnevelder pullets to Crow attack. I saw the Crow here on and off We suspected a hawk but the Crow showed up at the house up the road and 11 young free range pullets were missing 2 days later. Again just feathers. There were 13 survivors left. They were in the barn and in a chance of luck the neighbor came home saw the big Crow flyout of the barn with pullet in its beak. When they went in the barn all the pullets were gone just feathers. Except one wounded. Dont know if it is just one or if there are other Crows involved. But this is definately not expected. I know they hunt mice and thought they were ok not a danger to the chickens as they didnt bother the adult hens but this is a new one for us. The Pullets were fully fledged but about the size of a banty and not big. CROWS are now on my list of Killers with no trace but feathers.

Back
Top Bottom