What kind of chick is this?

Brookie-09

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
Hi there, I have this little baby. Dad is a white silkie, mum (I believe) is a silkie cross Japanese bantam. What would you call the colouring etc. I also did a feather dna for gender. Any guesses on whether it is male or female?
Chick is almost 7 weeks old

Attachments

• IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4321.jpeg
    IMG_4321.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 16
Thank you so much for your response. I’m really new to chickens, I can understand most basic breeds but the colouring/patterns I have no idea. How can you tell if baby is a silver laced or birchen? Do you look for certain patterns in the feathers etc! (Hope that makes sense) Your guess of pullet was correct 😉

Last edited:
How can you tell if baby is a silver laced or birchen? Do you look for certain patterns in the feathers etc!
Yes, basically you look for certain patterns in the feathers.

Sometimes it is patterns on each single feather (example: Silver Laced chickens have a black edge on each feather, with silver/white in the middle of the feather. When feathers like that are all over the chicken, it looks like someone spread a piece of black lace over a silver chicken.)

Other times, it is an overall pattern (example: Birchen chickens have black in some places, silver/white in other places, and specific arrangements of those colors on the individual feathers on certain parts of the body.)

Chicks sometimes have different color patterns than what they will have as adults, but they tend to get called by the name that goes with their adult color.

With practice, you can get better at recognizing what appearance of chick will go with what adult color. A few are easy (buff adults come from buff chicks, red adults usually come from red chicks) and some are harder (black adults come from chicks colored like black-and-yellow penguins). Chicks that are striped like little chipmunks when they hatch can grow up into adults with several different patterns of brown & black, or even white & black.

Some chickens have colors that don't really have names. This is especially common with mixed-breed chickens. For purebred chickens, every official variety has a name for their color (because someone gave that color a name, when they are working on getting it to look right and breed true.)

Back
Top Bottom